Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Colorado Me and The Last (Golf) Crusade

Let me say straight away, that I was never part of a foursome that looked like this.

On the other hand, being a member of a foursome who played like this looked, well...yes, I have been.  And more times than I care to admit.

Of late, I have been posting some of my more conspicuously bad moments in golf history on my Facebroke page.  There are some bad ones, indeed.

I haven't picked up a golf club since 2005.  Other than to take one away from my pet rock, Seymour, who was trying to use it to fend off a marauding leftover from my 'fridge. 

The last time that I did so -- picked up a club for purposes originally intended for one -- was memorable for many reasons.  It was the first and perhaps last time that I had and will probably ever play Homestead Golf Course, in Jefferson County, Colorado.

It was July, 2005.  The front nine that day was memorable, in that I tied my own personal best nine hole score:  41.  I did this not with creative score keeping or the use of Judge Smails' ball adjusting.  I did it with decent, trouble-free drives; amazing (for me) approach shots; and a putter that, from 6-8 feet away, didn't miss.

My golf partners for the round were impressed.  I was astonished.  I hadn't played a round since '03, in a company best-ball scramble format (noted some time ago in this blog).  And on that occasion, my game was better suited to a best-ball scramble format.  Most of my shots couldn't be held against me on a scorecard of law.

But this day was almost the crossing of a golf Rubicon, and the having of a great epiphany after my second beer.  I had come upon the i ching and the great Realization:  I suck at golf.  I always have.  And I've always known it.

But to accept it...this was something new.

And at that moment, in 2005, on a pace for my best 18 hole score ever, I had come to terms with just how much I sucked.  Acceptance appeared to be that great epiphany.  It didn't matter how much I sucked.  History had not been affected one whiff by how I sucked.  Current events were as they were intended to be, whether I sent a toupee-shaped divot skyward or not.

The future would be; the sun would set, the sun would rise, whales and swallows would migrate, the rains would fall, the crops would grow, and a cow would never fart in an office elevator, whether I sucked or not.  The great questions of Life, Death, and how a fruitcake can outlive a Galapagos Island tortoise, would always remain as they had from the dawn of time, regardless of how much I sucked at golf.

At that superlative moment -- which would have been a "WTF?" one for anyone else -- life was good.  Acceptance was the epiphany.  The i ching.  The great secret to a relaxed, enjoyable game, free of  post-stroke inquiries like "oh, what the f**k was that?" and "what the f**k am I doing over there?".

Then I made two simple epiphany-negating mistakes.  One, I thought about it.  Two, I began the back nine.

And just as suddenly as my game had seen a favorable glimpse and kindly nod from the Great Disposer of Golf Events...it caught a remindive glimpse of the Great Reality Returns...and I remembered that whatever the first nine holes had meant in the universe, I still sucked at the sport I was re-engaging.

And proved it on the 10th tee box.  And the 12th.  And on one hole that had a creek coursing across the fairway.  A creek you would just about jump across without effort.  A creek my golf ball sought succor and asylum in.  Twice.

As for my almost unconscious putting accuracy on the front nine...my putter had awakened, and returned to form.  A two putt was now a gift.  My putter seems to prefer helping my pet rock fend off marauding leftovers from my 'fridge, to helping me achieve a back nine best. 

It should have been careful about what it wished for.

As I finally drained my last 4 putt on the 18th hole, I discovered that, despite my epiphany, I couldn't out-relax my sucking at golf.

I know that you're curious.  And no, I did not -- despite my suckage on the back nine -- make triple digits for the round.  I averted that.  Barely.  But my clubs have not ventured out since that day.  Other than to help a poor pet rock fend off marauding leftovers from my 'fridge. 

I should, of course, just shoot the leftovers in their maraudage.  But my clubs gotta have something to do.  And my putter earned this.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

Bwahahahahaha. That's why I stay in the clubhouse have a cocktail. I'm good at that. Golf isn't easy. Not one bit and I'm pretty sure that your figured that out a long time ago too.

Have a terrific day. My best to Seymour. :)

26 September, 2012 06:41  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I've never played golf, but I hear it is very difficult. My hubby tried it in college. He sucked at he. He never picked up a golf club again. He doesn't like doing things that he isn't good at, ha.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

26 September, 2012 15:33  
Anonymous Left Handed Golf Club said...

playing golf has lot of benefits for your health not only through physical exercise, but also through the fun, laughter, and light conversations you share with other golfers.

Left Handed Golf Club

08 October, 2012 03:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home