Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That's A Whap


Election '08 is over. It didn't go the way I voted.
That's life. Even in a constitutional representative republic, you don't always get what you want.
But at least you have the freedom to vote and try again in the next cycle.
There'll be plenty of folks on the Republican side to do the analyzing, finger-pointing, et al. I'll leave it to them. The candidate that carried the party flag didn't carry the day. That's the end result, period. An honorable man, to be sure, but not the best standard bearer they could have picked. Not that I know who would have been better. Perhaps no one would have, this time out.
But none of that matters today. Yesterday, the nation spoke at the polls. Today, we have President-elect Obama. That's reality.
Whoever won this time, faced a table full of challenges, few of them pleasant or easy to solve let alone fully understand. I wouldn't trade places with 'em.
In 1992, the nation chose to go with the "new" Democrat, Bill Clinton (with a little help from a maniacal midget, and an inept GHWB campaign). In '94, voters evaluated Clinton's first two years by giving control of both houses of Congress to the Republicans. Quite an editorial comment.
Voters made another editorial comment on their opinion of a president's performance -- Dubya's -- in '06, when the Democrats got control of both houses of Congress.
Now it's President-elect Obama's turn to fish or cut bait. In '10, the voters will make a two year assessment again.
However it goes, let's collectively hope for the best.
Said the zen master, "we'll see...".
Indeed, we will.
God Bless America.

8 Comments:

Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

I am marginalized this morning, but at least I don't live in Mass.

On the ballot there: Do you want higher taxes, Yes-70% No-30%. And you wonder why they voted for Obama?

05 November, 2008 07:10  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Yes indeed, "We'll see..."

It won't all be tea and roses, but it will be interesting.

05 November, 2008 08:11  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

We'll see how the new president does.

05 November, 2008 17:06  
Blogger Right Truth said...

A lot of us were voting AGAINST Obama, rather than FOR McCain. John McCain was never the ideal candidate for Conservatives. In fact, he's too much like Obama in some ways for me. Just look at illegal immigration and amnesty. I'm sorry Obama won, but it's time to look forward. We need to take out every middle of the road, limp wristed, mealy mouthed, isle-crosser in Washington.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

05 November, 2008 17:22  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

Debbie, I would say that about 90% of us were voting against Obama. Not just "a lot."

05 November, 2008 19:04  
Blogger Serena said...

There's probably a pretty equal mix of happy people and disappointed people today. The voters have spoken, and I suppose that all we can do now is hope for the best -- and pray that Obama is up to the monumental task awaiting him.

05 November, 2008 20:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bruh...tis I again. You miss me?;) I just felt like you would have something to say about this whole election deal, so I decided to stop in and hear your thoughts. Surprisingly, you seem to think like I do, though. I won't go into too much detail of what I actually think, but I'll just say that I agree with pretty much everything I have read here. I really don't dig Obama all that much nor his policies, but the fact is....it's done. One thing I do think is funny, though, is how you can ask people that voted for him what policies they liked of his, and they can't answer it. Oh well, all we can do now is hope that he will indeed turn this country around for the better.

11 November, 2008 11:26  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Oh yeah, Jon, I remember you well ;) This comment is more like it: not because you tended to agree, but due to your dignified presentation. Well done.

Time will tell what the voters have wrought.

11 November, 2008 20:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home