Monday, October 20, 2008

Pet Rock Delusions











*This was originally published in August 2005; another in the 'Seymour the pet rock' posts, for your amusement. Seymour is currently still residing on a farm in Ohio, but is expected home from his three years abroad and Ohio sojourn in March or May, 2009...and no, I'm not going to get him sushi, sake, or a geisha for his homecoming*

Seymour -- the precocious pet rock -- is a 'news junkie'. Parked atop one of my stereo speakers,
with a panoramic view of the TV (and an inexplicable ability to access the remote when I'm not home), he keeps up on current events. Sort of.

After my tweaking of the rock over the Persides Meteor Shower, he was seeking a counter 'gotcha', when I came home from work, thoroughly annoyed with Colorado geology.

On June 22, 2005, a rockslide closed US 6 in Clear Creek Canyon. The canyon is still closed (top two photos), and not projected to reopen until mid September, 2005. So my route to work is reduced to two options: I-70 westbound to optional exits 248 or 243; or the 'slow boat' route, CO 46 (Golden Gate Canyon Road), a winding, picturesque mountain road. The I-70 route takes, on a good day, 30 minutes; CO 46 on an average day takes 45.

There aren't many average days on CO 46.

On August 14, 2005, I-70 temporarily lost it's utility as an alternative: three sizeable rockslides came down on the highway just to the west of Idaho Springs, CO (bottom photo). While my needs didn't take me that far west, the traffic backups reversed flow right into my realm. While trying to get to work, I found myself in a 60 minute crawl to cover 2 miles (to my desired exit off I-70). Later in the day, the backups from the detour extended 14 miles.

Hearing me muttering about 'ill-mannered geology', Seymour was in his element. And there's no slapping the arrogant, 'gotcha' grin off a pet rock; trust me on that.

Today -- Tuesday -- as I prepare to head for work, I hear that I-70 west is shut down again: same reason, same area, same monumental traffic jams. That means CO 46. The 'slow boat' route. With a ton more traffic than normal.

*Sigh*

Seymour is beaming.

Anyone want a pet rock? I'll pay the shipping.

6 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

I think you deserved it for torturing Seymour with the Persides Meteor shower...getting him all excited and then telling him horror stories about rocks burning up. You KNOW how he is just on the Outer Limits.

Poor Seymour, I'd rescue you if I could, sweetie!

17 August, 2005 07:45  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

Poor Seymour.

20 October, 2008 17:57  
Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm trying to imagine the size of the googily eyes that would be needed to officially call one of those boulders "friend."

21 October, 2008 02:43  
Blogger Right Truth said...

The shipping may cut into your Russian pen pall budget, heh.

Must keep that broadband email account active.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

21 October, 2008 15:20  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

21 October, 2008 18:29  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

FOr some reason I was under the impression you had seen a pic my front yard- but I think I am mistaken. A pet rock would be right at home here...I'll see if I can find a photo.
:)

22 October, 2008 05:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home