Saturday, October 18, 2008

Seymour and the Persides Education

* This is a repost from 2005, but it's also a great example of why I am still single, and would likely make a lousy parent*

It occurred to me -- and was confirmed on the radio -- that the annual Persides Meteor Shower was on tap for the next two nights. Weather-wise, it was looking to be a good night for the show.

Seymour, the ever-inquisitive pet rock, demanded to know what I was musing about.

When I told him all about the Persides celestial event, he was jumping up and down on top of the stereo speaker, saying "I wanna see, I wanna SEE!!!" Oy vay. What do you do with a pet rock that's acting like a 4 year old?

Simple: tell 'em the truth. It doesn't always work with a 4 year old, but Seymour ain't a 4 year old. Then again, it didn't work with Seymour, either.

I explained to him that a 'meteor shower' was not a bunch of space rocks doing kinky things in a Roman bath house (he remembered some reference about that in the movie Airplane); it is a myriad of tiny space debris, hitting the Earth's atmosphere.

And burning up.

Seymour's eager anticipation -- apart from a momentary scowl for the reference to 'space debris' -- turned to wide-eyed horror, when he realized what I was saying: the rocks burn up. Millions of 'em.

Seymour was suddenly quite unamused. Particularly when I took the psyops lesson further, and told him "oh, lighten up Seymour...it'll be cool!"

You've heard of a glare that would split a rock. Ever received such a glare from a rock?

I don't have to take the rock out on the patio to see the Persides Meteor Shower now. He'd rather watch The Outer Limits on the VCR.

Ain't I a stinker?

5 Comments:

Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

You think THAT was mean? I let Seymour watch the movie Deep Impact; right now, he's ashamed of being a rock.

;)

12 August, 2005 15:04  
Blogger Monica said...

You seriously need to behave...I'm so ready to take Seymour away from you...the poor baby. Wait till you hear from my lawyer...and NO, it won't be an online Nigerian one, Skunk. :)

12 August, 2005 15:23  
Blogger Susan said...

That post rocks! I used to have a pet rock , but we had to have it put down as it turned vicious!

19 October, 2008 00:49  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

Maybe we should introduce our 2 Seymours.

19 October, 2008 19:32  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I remember pet rocks, mood rings, mini skirts, boots made for walkin',...

I've got two rocks hubby picked out of a river on a zoology field trip -- they never talked to me though.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

19 October, 2008 21:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home