Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Imusnt


Since everyone else is weighing in on Don Imus and the relative size comparison betwixt his backside and the insertion of his head there recently, I might as well too. Nothing like a media pile-on to overstate/inflate an issue.
Bottom line: the guy's a moron. I've listened to him a small handful of times. It was a small handful too many. So I exercise the right I have in this society to be selective: I don't listen to him.
Should be 'nuff said.
But it isn't.
I've heard an interesting span of arguments over the Imus flap: he's a racist. No, he's an entertainer, albeit a rude one. He's sorry. He's not sorry. He should be fired. He has First Amendment rights. Is what he did worse than what Jesse Jackson did with the Jewish slur some years back, or the Al Sharpton/Twana Brawley fraud? Was/is Imus more disrespectful to women than rap/gangsta rap music?
Personally, I don't care about or put much stake in most of the other arguments. Here's my own personal take put pretty simply: the guy's a moron. Period. If you don't like him, don't listen to him. I don't, and I don't. Simple.
If enough people don't listen to him, free-market forces will take care of the rest.
Should the Rutgers girls' basketball team rise above him or allow his comment to make them perpetual victims? That's up to them. I know as much about them as individuals as they know of me. I don't consider them victims; but that's up to them to rise above or wallow in. They can rise to the mountain top and never look back, or take the Al Sharpton low road of wallow and whine. That's their choice.
'Nuff said. Particularly by a guy who's just spent two blog columns dissing Russian bride-wannabes, or humorously pointing out yet another scam angle to readers.
Am I as bad as or worse than Don Imus? You decide.
I just know I ain't as ugly. Yet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

I didn't watch him before the "event" and I don't watch him now. The only thing out of all of it that impressed me was when a guy on Fox asked Al Sharpton why the African American community doesn't hold rappers responsible for their lyrics. A.S. said he finds their music atrocious and offensive. Not enough to stop it though, right?

12 April, 2007 06:09  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

If AS finds rapper music "atrocious and offensive", then why doesn't he get on his soapbox on that?

No need to answer that one ;)

12 April, 2007 07:17  
Blogger CynAnn said...

I don't do talk radio or talk tv...
and Imus was stupid to say what he did...BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Have you ever heard racist or sexist talk in rapper songs? I don't care what color you are...words that hurt are words that hurt. If Imus gets in trouble..so should EVERY one who raps, sings, or whatever the hell that's called.

12 April, 2007 20:41  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I don't watch and I don't listen but I am hearing about it on the blogs.
I have heard Imus a few times a long time ago and I wasn't impressed so I didn't listen to him.
To me the answer is so simple. If you don't like what someone is saying turn it off. Change the channel if it's tele change the station if it's radio.
I agree with you. The rap stuff is way worse.
As for you...I choose to be here..
I choose to tune in....
You're no Imus you are waaay smarter...
Huggles

13 April, 2007 12:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home