Saturday, January 28, 2006

Easy Listener


An up-to-date, current music aficionado, I ain't. On the occasions I try listening to what passes for current "Pop 40" or the top hits of the moment, I find solace in having grown up with another era in music.

Though, I make an exception for Enya. She has one of those amazing voices that can absolutely melt me in music, which will factor into the upcoming list.

But my favorite singing voice of all time, and probably always will be, is none other than the late, great, adored Karen Carpenter.

1983 was a dark year in my life, indeed. But her incredible voice lives on.

At any rate, lists seem to be quite the thing in blogs. So here's one. My very subjective "Favorite 25 Easy Listening Songs Of My First 49 Years", with no particular order to the list, other than the very first listed. Each song has a meaning at some point in my life, and thereby makes my favorite easy listening list.

1. Yesterday Once More Carpenters
2. Poor Side of Town Johnny Rivers
3. Deora Ar Mo Chroi Enya
4. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart Bee Gees
5. Dreamboat Annie Heart
6. Lyin' Eyes Eagles
7. Stones Neil Diamond
8. For All We Know Carpenters
9. A Day Without Rain Enya
10. Rainy Days and Mondays Carpenters
11. Did She Mention My Name Gordon Lightfoot
12. Let It Grow Eric Clapton
13. Help Me Make It Thru The Night Sammi Smith
14. Sunset Dreams Enya
15. Today The New Christy Minstrels
16. Moon River Henry Mancini
17. Last Date Floyd Cramer
18. Against All Odds Phil Collins
19. Like A Woman Bob Dylan
20. Same Old Lang Syne Dan Fogelberg
21. Spooky Classics IV
22. Baby As You Turn Away Bee Gees
23. My Cherie Amour Stevie Wonder
24. Never Found The Time America
25. Songbird Fleetwood Mac

3 Comments:

Blogger carol said...

Hi, thankyou for visiting my site, I so appreciate F.T.S. featuring me on this weeks spot light.I always love new visiters.Come back again o.k. Cheers,

29 January, 2006 17:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might I suggest giving k.d. lang's 'Songs of the 49th Parallel' a listen? She has an amazing voice.

30 January, 2006 11:08  
Blogger Monica said...

Now why does some of this sound familiar? Trevor thinks so, too.

I can't believe Lyin' Eyes is your fav Eagles song...mine, too. I love Let it Grow by Eric Clapton and have been enjoying that, too. And yes, Sammi Smith. Okay, did you just copy the bulk of this or what ? :)
Gordon Lightfoot's song? haven't heard in awhile, I need to do so.

30 January, 2006 13:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home