Thursday, March 11, 2010

Phfft!


Since my pet rock Seymour has become friends with an assortment of writers on Facebook, he is determined to write something to make himself famous.
I came home from work, and Seymour had a set of "new, never before seed or hear-d" lyrics written out on a sheet of paper, awaiting my review. A quick perusal of what he'd jotted down was vaguely familiar to me; the more I looked, the more I recalled, until a *TOING* in my memory banks took me back to the late 1960s, and a country-western television answer to Laugh-In: Hee Haw.
More specificially, a comedy song routine that was a regular on the show.
"Was NOT!"
Here's what Seymour wrote and claims is "never before seed or hear-d lyrics":
*Guitar strumming*
You had si-x kids, and I had e-leven
and we had eight more, just bloomin' like flowers...
I wish you'd come back
and help me my darlin'...
your kids and my kids are beatin' up ours...
Where, oh where, are you to-night?
Why did you leav-e me here all alone?
I searched the world over and thought I'd found true love,
you met a-nother and
PHFFT! you wuz gone...
It was the PHFFT! Song, made famous by Archie Campbell and Gordie Tapp (on the particular song Seymour tried to pirate, Campbell's partner was Conway Twitty).
"Did NOT!"
So I let Seymour see the YouTube skit (which still makes me laugh).
"Oh...".
Oh, indeed.
So I told him that while he could probably get by with using the tune, or something close akin to it, he'd have to completely revise his lyrics. Silly little things like copyright infringement, plagiarism, and that kinda thing.
Seymour's dusty version of "Phfft!" convinced me that another "(lack of) creativity crisis" was over.
Never underestimate a pet rock determined to write parody, even though he doesn't think so.
"Am NOT!"
Two AMs later, as I stumbled to the coffee pot, thereon I was greeted with a piece of paper with the following scrawled on it:
*guitar-sounding stuff*
Your goat had six kids, and mine had a do-zen,
we set-tled on goats, as better than ducks...
I wish you'd come baack,
and help with the milkin'
changing these lyrics, just in a word sucks...
Where, dag-nab-it are ewe, ewe goat?
Why did ewe go on the lamb, one night?
I grazed the world over and thought I'd found pasture,
you rammed with a-nother and
PHFFT ewe ain't right...
"Well? Well??"
It's 3:30am, I have a pesky pet rock at my elbow, gibberish for lyrics, I'm without caffeine, and I'm speechless.
Anyone got Weird Al Yankovic's number? He and Seymour have something in common.
"Do NOT!"

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Shrinky said...

You plainly have no soul Skunk, those lyrics pure pulled on my heart strings, why, I'm mopping up a puddle of tears as I type. Does Seymour sing? He should take this and audition for American Idol..

11 March, 2010 03:04  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Phfft indeed.

I think Shrinky is on to something. If I knew Seymour would be on American Idol, I might even be tempted to tune in. snerx.

WV: slepou

11 March, 2010 05:41  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Shrinky, I can't keep beat, either ;) I just worry about being knowd as the owner of the next William Hung of lyrics...

"am NOT!"

11 March, 2010 08:14  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

ROFL...Seymour's planning a career now in rock n' roll???? Definitely has possibilities...Well,I'm on the run today...but simply couldn't resist this post!!!! Laugh In was one of my all-time faves...and of course, you already know how much I think of you and Seymour...Hugs, Janine

11 March, 2010 08:52  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Seymour really gets around and has a wide range of talents.

Perhaps I can get Hubby's band to perform some of Seymour's songs, hee hee

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

11 March, 2010 09:42  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

Seymour wasn't a member of the Rolling Stones, was he? His work sounds familiar. Anyway, go Seymour!!

11 March, 2010 10:26  
Blogger Sandee said...

I just ♥ Seymour. He's my kind of guy. Just saying.

Have a terrific day. :)

11 March, 2010 10:33  
Blogger Andy said...

Skunks, I know you love Seymour. But, the rest of us "love him like a rock!"

I met Archie Campbell once when I was a kid...long story. I think I memorized every one of his bassackward talking comedy routines.

"Rindercella, and Her Two Sad Blisters" was my favorite.

11 March, 2010 19:18  
Blogger Monica said...

Seymour, we should write a song together sometime. You know I've had a couple recorded...we'll make Skunk take back his words. :)

HOWEVER, Skunk is pretty smart when it comes to editing and stuff? So listen to him SOMETIMES, ok?

12 March, 2010 04:34  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

LOL :)
I love me some weird Al- he's awesome...and Seymour is too, but he's nothing without you :)
(don't tell him I said that!)

12 March, 2010 22:33  
Anonymous Robert "the infidel" Garding said...

That brought back memories of that song Sknuky....I used to love watching Hee Haw and still do no the cable channels..as it comes on sometimes on a channel called RFD. I used to make up words to that song, and thought it was funny, but never thought of doing one for Obama, Reid and Pelosi till just now. If I do it I will let you know....Hee hee.

13 March, 2010 05:22  
Anonymous Inspired Comblogulations said...

I am not a writer...I love to paint and I love interior design and a GOOD read... found you through Janine. Love the pet rock.
Kiss him for making me smile.
Lee

13 March, 2010 06:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seymour better keep his day job.

Oh, wait...he doesn't have one!

LOL!

13 March, 2010 11:51  
Blogger JMK said...

"Never underestimate a pet rock determined to write parody, even though he doesn't think so." (SF)


That is so damned true!

Sometimes I wish it weren't, but it's true alright.

15 March, 2010 03:16  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Just stopping by to see if there is any fun going on that I'm missing!!! Hope you are having a great week!! Hugs, Janine

17 March, 2010 14:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home