Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hairmageddon


There are times that discretion really is the better part of valor.
Like most of us widdour own hair, it occasionally calls for an adjustment of length. I never was one for the Woodstock look, nor have I been terribly fond of the "fresh into boot camp" look that my father required of us our first few years. So I'll hang onto that I have, even as it's long gone from it's original brown, to a color that gives me an excuse for 'blonde moments', so to speak.
I used to have a favorite barber. She handled my ear lowerings with a familiarity that kept me comfortable and 'bad hair day free' for 18 years. But then she up and done the dangdest thing, and retired.
Obviously she didn't invest her retirement with Bernie Madoff, since she ain't back in the bidness.
So I hadda find me another barber. Luckily, I did: a cute, perky South Carolinian, who liked to change her own hair color every time I went in to adjust the length of mine. But at least in her hands, the scissors weren't akin to what the government's notions of "transparency" are these days. I was content anew.
But then she up and done the dangdest thing, and moved to Oregon. Maybe it was the jokes I told; I don't think it was the tips I left.
So for the past four years, my haircuts have been hit and miss, and I rarely get the same cutter twice at the emporium I use, out of geographical convenience. 99% of the time, I don't come out and hiss at my reflection in the window, not recognizing what's left of my hair.
But there are times...
One visit in the fall of '09, I went in to find a new, unrecognized, very cute and young lady sitting in the first open stall, staring dreamily at me as I walked up to the register. That she was blonde, and text book at that, became evident at once:
"Are you here for a haircut?" she giggled, with a *bat* of her baby blues.
"No, I'm interested in your $7.99 lobotomy special", was my dead-pan reply, with a couple of *nods* of the eyebrow.
That drew another *giggle*, some quick data entry, and then Cutesy calls over her shoulder through a seemingly empty shop, "Beulah, customer!"
And out of the backroom comes..."Beulah".
O-M-G. Near as tall as me. Near as big around as me. Blacker than black hair, with lowlights of orange in it, and cut spikily, like a Trojan horsehair helmet. She had enough face piercings to make a porcupine wince. Black lipstick and Bela Lugosi eye makeup.
O-M-G. I'm in the hands of a Goth. Or extraterrestrial, from the planet O-M-Goth.
With a voice that reminded me of Stripe from Gremlins, I thought I heard "Beulah" say something like "Gizmo, CA-CA!". But I'm suspecting it was more like "heh, my name is Mayhem. Like how would you like your head, heh, like totally rearranged today?" Pretending I didn't hear what I imagined I had, and being a guy -- showing fear was unacceptable -- I took a few seconds to carefully explain my customerly desire to "Beulah-Mayhem": trim it over the ears, off the collar, and thin a bit off the top. I kept it simple.
Her primal grunt of acknowledgment wasn't much comfort, especially as the air from the grunt whistled, out of tune, through her various piercings.
"Heh..*snort*..uh, you don't mind if I use clippers, do you?", as she wielded a pair of electric shears with what appeared to be hedge-trimming implements on them.
"Uh, well.."I started to mutter..
"Good...I have you, like, so totally done in no time, dude!"
Momma.
With the first *tug* on the rope to start the chainsaw-sounding clippers, I knew I should have opted for the latter half of my favorite saying, discretion is the better part of valor, and chickensh** is the better part of discretion, breaking away in a dead run and warning all in my path that Hairmageddon was right behind me. But male machismo caused me a second of hesitation, and in that second, (nearly) all was lost.
Caught in a sudden 'storm' of flying particles -- all of which I hoped and dreaded were hair, no body parts -- I thought an octopus weed whacker was flailing my scalp from at least eight different directions. I wondered how I'd hear, with what might be left of my ears, down around my abdomen.
In two of the longest minutes of my hair's life, the fury of the storm broke, and passed.
As the cloud of debris settled, I heard her say "oh, buzzcut, dude...whaddaya think?". Grasping with reluctance, the mirror thrust into my mitt, I gazed into, not a mirror, but a portal of Time itself: crap...I had one of those 7 year old hair cuts! None of the rest of me looked that age.
Which was good, since I hadda drive home.
Rather than offer an honest critique of the unanticipated results -- she was, after all, still lurking there, blackish-orange hair, red eyes, black lips, piercings hissing like a leaky tire, and with that chainsaw-weed whacker thing poised menacingly over my right shoulder -- I muttered something to the affect that "this'll do until the next Winter Olympics", paid, and escaped with what was left of my scared-white hair.
It took a while to grow out, but by New Years' Eve, the scars from surgically reattaching my ears in the right place were practically gone. And my hair, once again, resembled the rest of my chronology.
In two visits since, I haven't seen "Beulah-Mayhem". And that's okay. We should face Hairmageddon but once a lifetime.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sueann said...

ROFL!!! I think we all can relate to this one. I hate to tell a hairdresser to take just a little off. Their ruler and my ruler are not the same. My 1/8th inch is their 2 inches!!! Ack!! It is a crime and should be reported to some one...the Hair gods maybe? The police? I mean, it is an assault of mythic proportions!!!!!!
Glad your better now. At least it does grow back. Let me tell you about getting a perm........!!!!!!!
Hugs
SueAnn

18 February, 2010 04:14  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was too funny...loved your description of Beulah! lol
My daughter-in-law tells me she caught my 7-year old grandson giving his 3 year-old-brother a haircut yesterday. The little one has a big chunk of his hair missing in front, and a noticably bald sideburn on one side. Lucky she caught him when she did--he was planning to give him a Mohawk!

18 February, 2010 06:52  
Blogger Sandee said...

Yikes. Why do some folks feel they know what kind of a hair cut you need? They don't even ask most of the time. Oh, it's like our government. They know what we need better than we do. I get it now.

Have a terrific day. :)

18 February, 2010 07:40  
Blogger Jack K. said...

ARRRRGH!!!!! I hate it when that happens. You should have been more assertive with dear Beulah. snerx.

18 February, 2010 08:08  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Jack: there wasn't time...!!!

18 February, 2010 10:12  
Blogger The Dental Maven said...

Oh, Skunk. I feel your pain. While in dental school I went for one of those $10 jobbers and it scarred me for life. I actually had to tell the woman to "STOP CUTTING NOW." And dude? Girls ain't supposed to have hair that short!!! Worse, I had to take public transportation home. Mortified.

18 February, 2010 11:27  
Blogger Jenny said...

You know, Skunky, that they say the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is two weeks.

However.

Several years ago I made my last attempt in this lifetime to get a permanent. In my hair, that is. More than three hours after the "stylist" -- who was a younger, slightly less goth, slightly more hillbilly version of your enchanting hair care professional -- finally admitted defeat when I caught sight of myself in the morror (that's a cross between mirror and horror) and began wailing uncontrollably.

I looked like a Brillo pad that had spent three hours in the electric chair ... then got a pardon from the governor just a wee bit late ... as in, I would rather have been dead than have to roam the earth looking the way I did.

Now, if you don't know anything else about me, you must appreciate this one thing: Of all the things about which I am vain (and there are many), my hair is at the top of the list.

This ... this ... this VILLAGE IDIOT had burned and fried and fricasseed my hair to the point that I was nearly unrecognizable.

Oddly enough, she was the last woman to touch my hair. My current hairstylist is a 60-year-old man who understands my tresses so well, I would walk across burning coals to put it into his capable hands.

My man has a woman cut his hair ... I think her name is Olga. So far she hasn't made him resemble a gulag or bad borscht ... for which I am thankful.

18 February, 2010 17:59  
Blogger Lemon Stand said...

I have a hair appointment this morning that I was really looking forward to. (any time away from the hormonal house of horrors is time well spent these days)

Now? Well. I guess I'm going to make sure I am VERY specific...

19 February, 2010 06:46  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Oh that sounds scary. That's one reason I went for years never going a beauty salon. I cut, styled, etc. my own hair.

The reason is that beauticians love to CUT hair. They especially love to cut LONG hair, which is what I have.

Recently I started getting a few gray hairs and tried to color at home. Big mistake, my hair is just too long for me to color properly.

So I sucked it up, swallowed my fears, and tried out the local beauty shop. I was pleasantly surprised.

The lady did a great job getting the color exactly like my natural color, all she did was cover the few grays. She trimmed the back, and I do mean trimmed, maybe 1/4 inch.

I left there happy and let out a big sigh of relief.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

20 February, 2010 11:39  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

I don't know where you get the courage to let strangers stand behind you with sharp objects. And there's usually a mirror you can't help but look at and watch in horrifying anticipation of....

So, I hardly ever get a haircut.

I blame bible class. That Delilah....

20 February, 2010 14:59  
Blogger Serena said...

I had no idea that changing hairdressers was as traumatic to men as it is to women.:)

20 February, 2010 21:00  
Blogger Lee said...

This made me laugh tears...it put me in remembrance of a time my then, teenage son visited a new dentist... a discount dentist...we were put in a room of two patients divided by curtains, like a double occupancy hospital room... my son took his place (17 years old) in the dental chair, I his mature mother...standing at his feet waiting for the dentist...we could hear them drilling in the curtain divided room on a grown male patient, Mr. Jones and we could see his white knuckles clenching the arms of his chair when the curtain was bumped...every so often they would stop the drill and say, are you okay Mr. Jones? and every time he replied loudly with flatulence... my son and I had the giggles so bad when the dentist finally came to see us, I was asked to leave the room, because my son would dart his eyes, take one look at me, (he was attempting to fight back the laughter)... it was too late, the tickle box was overturned, causing his mouth to clamp down on the Doc's fingers in his mouth...we laugh about it to this day. Poor Mr. Jones...he never said a word and we made sure he never heard us giggle...to put it mildly ...we wrestled painfully to be quite and courteous to his situation.
I love this hair cut story...I had to come back and read more of your blog...I am sending some folks your way and told my sister and parents about your blog at our ritual Saturday morning coffee... my sister doesn't have a home pc and cannot blog at work, I was tempted to email you and see if I might copy and print some of your post for her to read...you brightened my day...as sometimes I just get 'lifed out'...thank you again.
Priceless humor and they enjoyed what I was able to remember on your scam post. I hope I didn't bore you to bad with my memory.
Lee

13 March, 2010 14:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home