Saturday, March 20, 2010

Into the Jaws of the Unknown Problem


Absurd knows no bounds. 'Specially in my career field.
Take one day not so unrecent (see what I just kinda did there?): a radio call to respond to a hotel room on an "unknown problem".
You could start by analyzing what constitutes an "unknown problem": if it's unknown, how does one know it's a problem? Do we ever get calls to respond to an unknown solution? And if we do, will we recognize it for what it isn't, to find the utility in what it is?
But I digress.
As I neared the location to which my presence had been requested, I could hear a 'buzz' of voices. And faintly...eerily...something that sounded almost akin to background noise. No...it was background music. Music that sounded vaguely familiar. Low...ominous. The closer I got, the more I heard.
The *TOING* of familiarity hit me as I arrived on scene at The Room. Therein I beheld a housekeeper. Her supervisor. A seemingly bemused-looking engineer. And one of my officers who had preceeded me on the call. The call that brought me to respond to an unknown problem.
All the while, that familiar music was playing ever louder...ever faster...building to a crescendo of a climax.
"What's the unknown problem?" I asked in that southern drawl I like to fake that I have, when sounding folksy is particularly non sequitur to the issue, whatever it is.
"It's there!" my officer muttered, gesturing toward the bathroom.
At the commode.
The music rises, like a leviathan from the depths, faster and faster as it nears the surface...
I looked, with a curious lack of trepidation, into the depths of from whenst or wherest everyone seemed to think the aquatic Apocalypse was about to rise in righteous fury from.
The background music was reaching a fever pitched crescendo. And there, I saw...IT:
....
....
....
And there, confronted by IT, someone behind me asked in a manner that was totally serious:
"What do we DO about it?"
As the music reached it's thunderous climax.....*FLUSH*
The four-inch-long dead goldfish was no longer a threat to humanity.
As the background music now faded, sounding like a cat chasing a mouse across a piano keyboard, and with a laconic "unknowd problem solve-d", I left the others to ponder what they had just witnessed, while imagining the image of Chief Brody, somewhere, yelling, "that's IT? THAT'S all it took? We didn't need a bigger boat?"
Not this time, Chief.
Who said that protecting and serving can't be absurdly fun, sometimes?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sueann said...

ROFL!!!! Da Da! Da Da!! Too funny!
Hugs
SueAnn

20 March, 2010 01:29  
Blogger Shrinky said...

Are you serious? You got a CALL OUT for THAT??? Sheesh, good thing you were brave enough to fix it for them (giggle). But honestly, folk should be fined for running you guys out for stuff like that, it's ridiculous!

20 March, 2010 03:02  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Suspicions confirmed. You have been partaking of Seymour's favorite cereal. And you say you only like the milk. That in itself is totally suspicious.

On the other hand, another suspect could be Seymour. All along you have led us to believe that you are his alter ego. Now it seems that he may be yours.

The plot doth thicken.

btw, where did you get the photo. I have seen it on a blog somewhere in the last couple of days.

Oh, and we do have snow with more promised. But it will be back in the 50's by mid-week.

20 March, 2010 05:04  
Blogger Unknown said...

The unkknown problem sounds kida fishy to me!

20 March, 2010 09:01  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

Skunk, you handled that dangerous situation with such bravery. A 4-inch gold fish can be lethal in the wrong hands. We're right proud-a-you.

20 March, 2010 09:05  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

What I want to know is how'd the goldfish get into the toilet? Who done it? Was it the butcher, the baker or the candlestick maker? Time for a little crime investigation...LOL...Yup...love the music!!! Know exactly what piece...and I applaud my hero for his courage in rescuing the entire housekeeping team! That was one royal flush! ;-) Very wonderful, anecdotal post, my friend! You should be a crime writer...you have a tremendous talent for pacing! Hugs, Janine

20 March, 2010 11:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cut the carp already. Bwahahahahahahaha! (just had to say it...)

20 March, 2010 13:28  
Blogger Andy said...

Yeah Skunks, Sniffles and Smiles beat me to it. How in the hell did a 4" long goldfish get in the crapper?

I mean, the mind conjurs up many ideas. If the perp drowned the thing, why didn't HE flush...ya' know...destroy the evidence and all.

If he just ate the thing, then passed it whole, flushed, and didn't watch for the final swirl...well, that would be even weirder.

And, if it swam it's way upsewer to spawn...that's one tough goldfish.

This is a bizarre story, Skunks. It almost sounds like one of those diversionary deals that criminals do to occupy the fuzz while they crack a safe somewhere.

21 March, 2010 10:11  
Blogger Right Truth said...

" ....if it's unknown, how does one know it's a problem?"

Good question.

As to your fake Southern accent... I just HATE watching a movie or TV show when some actor is using their version of "southern". FAKE FAKE FAKE. They make us sounds like ignorant hicks.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

21 March, 2010 12:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home