Sunday, March 14, 2010

Take Me Out Of The Ballgame..

MLB "spring training" is underway. A fitting time for me to reminisce about my own memories of the sport, and my utter ineptness thereof.

Another blogger I visit -- Hale McKay -- sometime back posted some jokes about baseball. The very first one resonated immediately: about how little Billy raced home and told his mom that he'd helped score the winning run in the ballgame that afternoon. And how had he done that, she asked?

"I dropped the ball". DOH!

Sounds like me.

Baseball was never my sport. As a kid that got signed up for Little League, I didn't last one season of it. Among other inabilities (eye-hand coordination, ball-bat coordination, throw-aim coordination, flyball-glove coordination), I had this inexplicable fear of a baseball, zeroing right in on my head.

A couple of times of which, it did.

In elementary/jr high/high school softball, I gradually rounded into a manageably inept player who learned to improve eye-hand, bat-ball and flyball-glove coordination. The throw-aim coordination wasn't following along at the same pace, but showed some sign of promise that I could deliver the ball to within feet of the target.

The fear of the ball coming at the head remained. Which I can't explain, since hitting me in the head -- as three concussions have proven -- doesn't amount to much. Common sense doesn't manage to penetrate there at times either, but I digress.

Anyway, the Billy story brought back an old softball memory, one that I can now laugh about, since the other party to the story has, I am comfortably certain, no idea where I am anymore.

Into adulthood, I found myself getting roped into playing rec-league slow-pitch softball. Eh. I'd finally managed to find enough assorted levels of coordination to manage this, and found a fielding position that thoroughly fit me: right field. It was an easy choice, since no one else on the team wanted it ("too boring", I was told). But for me, it was perfect: a grounder that got past the infield was no problem; a fly ball, if hit deep enough, gave me time enough to work out the coordinates, windage, elevation, projected rate of drift, deceleration and drop, for me to make a half-dozen adjustments to same, and make a catch, while the crowd took bets on whether I would or not.

My teammates told me that the odds were running 8-5 against. Wiseasses.

One thing I had developed over the years -- and can't explain why -- was a cannon-arm for throwing the ball back in. But the throw-aim coordination was a tad bit dubious as yet.

At a corporate job during the latter 1980s, I was part of a group that challenged a mixed team of sheriff's deputies from our local county, to a slow-pitch softball game. On the night of the big event, the two teams appeared to be pretty evenly-matched, and the score went to and fro.

Up to then, I'd had a good night: not one ball that left the infield had done so to right field. I was pretty complacent, having had a good 3-for-4 at the plate, with 3 runs scored and 3 RBI. Then, late in the 6th inning, the deputies managed to tie us up, and with two outs, the hitter punched a ball into, until then, virgin right field.

Oh sh**.

While trying to compute the longitude and latitude of the inbounder, I recognized that it was going to drop in front of me for a base hit; so did the baserunner, who poured on the coals in a bid for a double. When I got to the ball, he was about 2/3s of the way to second base; I came up quickly and fired a rocket from about 60 feet away to the second baseman.

With that cannon-arm of mine, I threw the baserunner out. Literally. With a badly-timed revisitation of that dubious throw-aim coordination of mine, I put the ball squarely behind the baserunner's right ear, dumping him to the dirt short of second base. Fell like a sack of wet compost, he did.

For the next few minutes, the very shaky, white-faced baserunner kept insisting that one finger was three. He was helped off, and a pinch runner substituted for him. One that went onto score the winning run.

All because I threw the wrong kind of "out".

Yep...me and Billy got something in common. We won a game. For the opposing team.

Come July, it'll have been 21 years since that "argument for Alzheimers" game. I don't play softball any more. And I don't worry about being pulled over by that particular deputy, one dark and sinister night in a rural part of the county any more. I trust to the rocket I delivered, to have provided him just enough memory lapse ;-)

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Little Lamb said...

I, too, am bad at sports. On the occasion that I do get stuck playing, I miss the ball all the time. The ball hardly ever comes to me so therefore, I am not ready for it when it does.

06 July, 2009 09:41  
Blogger Lawyer Mom said...

I have that same fear the ball will hit me in the head. If I played with you, it would. But playing with sheriff deputies . . . takes far more bravery than I have in me.

06 July, 2009 13:30  
Blogger Serena said...

We used to play softball on the neighborhood vacant lot when I was a kid. It was fun until one of my sisters hit me in the head with the bat after I struck her out.:-)

06 July, 2009 19:21  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I played soft ball ... once. That's all it took to convince others that I SUCKED!

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

06 July, 2009 20:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And do you remember when all of us (sibs) used to play while on the farm? I remember being the pitcher at times and had an unerring talent for ducking into the path of the ball. You and I seem to be very good at that sort of thing!

08 July, 2009 19:55  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I'm not a sports person, never have been and don't expect to change now.

Baseball on TV seems SO BORING.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

14 March, 2010 08:54  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, Mike!!! Looks like we share more than simply dubious kitchen skills...baseball/softball was my nemesis...I too was scared of the ball hitting my head...ROFL!!!!! I laughed all the way through this...that is when I wasn't nodding in hearty agreement!!! Loved this!! And hope that you are never "remembered" by the county sheriff!! ;-) Outstanding post...as usual!!! Hugs, Janine

14 March, 2010 13:49  
Blogger JMK said...

Baseball wasn't my favorite sport either.....which is probably why I ended up running track.

15 March, 2010 03:12  
Blogger Unspoken said...

Oh no!!! Oh dear. :).

BTW Thank you for your comments to my blog, as always. You are more generous than I deserve and I am appreciative of it.

15 March, 2010 09:57  
Blogger Monica said...

I love sports. March Madness is big in my family. Frontyard football is, too, as is soccer, the Super Bowl and hockey. I have played softball on a company team and loved it.
Take care of you. Tough noodles.

15 March, 2010 11:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home