Monday, April 5, 2010

Politically Correct Travel Humor


*This is Part II of How to Sometimes Piss Off A Reader By (in their mind) Unfairly Dissing Their State With Tongue-In-Cheek...from 2006*

I drove through New Mexico and it was just stunningly splendiferous! I have never seen anything quite like it, ever in my middle-aged life! Oh, the splendor! Oh, the grandeur! Oh, the endless miles of things that absolutely NO ONE ELSE HAS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD! How could ANYONE say ANYWHERE was BETTER than NEW MEXICO?

In the previous blog entry, a reader took offense to my tongue-in-cheek anecdote of travelling across New Mexico, enroute to it's somewhat look-alike neighbor, Arizona. Among his other emotional observations was that my seeing eye dog must have been asleep, I'm full of sh**, and he even managed to throw a f**k in there (to borrow his colorful metaphors, which are not standard fare in this blog; unlike some individuals, I don't need to employ the simple four letter words to make a point).

Guess that person told me, eh? What he told me, he didn't intend to. I'll return to that momentarily.

But I must acknowledge that the person did have one point that was relevant and, for a critique, carried merit: I misspelled Albuquerque originally. That much has been corrected. Thanks for that correction.

If you've read much of this blog, I tend to make fun of things. Frequently, the target of my humor -- satire, parody or sarcasm -- is me. I do things that, in the light of having survived it, it's funny. And I have no problem poking fun at myself. Hard for anyone to be offended when it's me I'm having a laugh over.

As for places, I've made fun of Kansas: I've often suggested that Colorado start a border war with Kansas, and after we've soundly thumped them, make them take all of Colorado from Limon, east. 'Cuz it all looks the same. I've also poked fun at North Dakota; my very capable chiropractor is from North Dakota, and is a doll to boot. I let her read it; she laughed, and didn't bend me into a pretzel thereafter.

I've poked fun at the Left Coast (aka, Califorlornia); I've poked fun at Florida. I've poked fun at my own home state of Iowa (I've heard jokes about the place for years, and find some pretty inventive humor in some of them). Ah writs like ah dun think them thar rednecks writs, 'speshully when ah'm funnin' them thar Nigerian scamster fellers hyar.

Yep, I do that.

At the same time, I've travelled through 38 of our 50 states thus far: and no matter what the state, there is always something good I can write about it. Each state is unique; each state has history, geography and culture unique to it. That's a simple statement of fact.
At the same time, any number of persons of varied antecedence, erudication and ability with prose, can find something in the most splendiferous place, to poke fun at.

If I'm of a mind, such humor will be written at such a time and place as I wish to. It just so happened that in the previous case of New Mexico, I found the good thing was leaving it behind...*oh dang, I dun it agin*. Hate when that happens.

Since my reason for traversing New Mexico was for attending to a family loss, and not for seeking the scenery I'm sure is there in abundance, that didn't factor heavily in the previous blog entry. The fact that a map would lead me to such stuff, and I wasn't there for that, obviously went over the head of this emotional, in-need-of-Valium critic.

Now, what this complainer to my one-time view of New Mexico has decided is, in essence, I'm full of ca-ca. Tell ya what, fella: sometimes, I am. Deliberately. It's called humor. It might not fit your definition of the word; but perhaps you find humor in something that someone else objects to. From the tone of your pithy comments, I'd reckon so, even though I have to concede not knowing you, any more than your pathetic comments indicate that you know me.

Be that as it may, you can challenge my facts, where/if I've bothered to put up any outside of tongue-in-cheek; you can point out my typos and misspellings, which are pretty hard to deny once they're posted for all to see. You can even challenge what I consider humor, and deign it nothing of the sort. And you'll be right for your little universe. No doubt, you'll even have folks who agree with you.

Humor is subjective, and humor tastes run quite the gamut.

Folks are free to come and go here; those who enjoy what they read, I always welcome their comments when they choose to do so. Those who don't like what they read, are free to not visit again; no point for someone to come in here and constantly grouse about what I chose to write about and/or how. If they choose to comment, it's my choice to let their words stand, or take them down, if I feel they've crossed a line of decorum that I set on my blog, and I won't brook the crossing of. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Heck, I can even live with some emotional criticisms.
But when the critic insists on punctuating it with four-letter words that display an intellectual shallowness of the commenter, as well as dilutes his/her arguments and objections, that generally diminishes their complaint to the point of rating no worthwhile consideration from me.
But in this case, I went and gave him some consideration. In fact, I gave him a whole blog entry's worth of it. Frankly, more than his whiny, foul-mouthed diatribe deserved. I'll even leave up the comments he posted on the previous entry that so bunched his panties in a wad. That way, folks can decide what it is that they consider him, me, and/or both, to be full of.

* the unhappy party fired a couple parting salvos in comments that showed he didn't get it, picked up his marbles and left, and -- *yawn* -- took me off his overflowing blog roll. Boy, that sure hurt...considering I never knowd I was on it, and noticed not a whit of traffic difference, before or after.

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

I always pronounce it and spell it Albuquirky.

17 October, 2006 05:34  
Blogger Monica said...

Well, NM is MY neighbor state and the only person I know of from there accused me of evil karma...SO, I'd say introduce the troll to the Karma Queen.

I DID go to a zoo there with my husband and two sons while traveling to California in 1990 and had a great time with another family...of course THEY were traveling through as well...go figure.

17 October, 2006 06:30  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Oh mna, I've made fun of New York, Texas, Colorado, DC, and ...Kentucky.

17 October, 2006 07:31  
Blogger phoenix said...

I tried to look at this from both sides. Troll took offense because it is where he lives, but he came off a bit hard and that immediately will put the attackee (skunk) in a defensive posture.

Skunk, you handled this very well.

Troll, you should have made your point and been done with it, but you had to come back and attack again. It is a shame that some persons can't just leave it at a first statement.

Troll you write well and seem to have a good sense of humor. Perhaps this was just a "woke on the wrong side of the bed" day?

PS: I make fun of where I live everyday... Georgia is just too easy not too! ;)

17 October, 2006 07:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phoenix-

I did not consider the second post an "attack", but as a more in-depth explanation of my stance. I gues Skunk chose not to take it that way.

If I am writing something "tongue in cheek", my writing makes that obvious. It does not sound like a statement of observed fact. But then, as you say, I write well. (And thank you, BTW).

17 October, 2006 12:42  
Blogger phoenix said...

Your welcome and I am glad you are not like some who seem to hold a grudge and continue their diatribes as skunk would put it.

Shake hands and be friends is my motto :)

17 October, 2006 13:06  
Blogger Monica said...

Skunk, sweetie, would you give us the PLEASURE of making fun of Texas? I would love to read that...I'm quite used to the humor directed our way...the weather, the PRESIDENT (who was actually born UP NORTH) and the Texas Cheerleader mom...I've heard it all.

Your regular readers do indeed, know when you are using tongue-in-cheek humor and we do know the difference between that AND your more serious writing (as my absolute all-time favorite post by anyone anywhere attests to in August).

Still, in light of your recent loss that made the trip a have-to in the first place, I found your return to humor only proved once again that you are the remarkable friend and man I know you to be.

Take care of you.

Oh, I wrote a comment but it got lost in cyber space and it was probably my fault. :)

17 October, 2006 14:06  
Blogger Karen said...

OK, I just read the previous post and laughed. Why? Because I saw the humor in it. People make fun of Utah all the time despite it's beauty but I am not offended, perhaps because I have a sense of humor. There is not one state or place on this planet that is perfect, get over it.

Voicing an opinion is one thing but verbally abusing someone is another. It was not called for here and I took offense to the way the troll handled it, both what he said and who he said it to.

There is so much more in life to be upset over, for instance war, homeless people and starvation, loved ones passing away, loved ones fighting for their lives, and let us not forget, real life that requires our energy. Life is too short for those with a chip on their shoulder who feel they need to attack someone... and here I thought all along that I was the one who needed to get a life. ;-)

So, Skunk... feel free to make fun of Utah any time. LOL I LOVED this post.

17 October, 2006 16:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's me - the guy who took all the loverly photos of many loverly places in loverly New Mexico.

Please be assured that Joe the Troll is a good-hearted troll. Intelligent, funny as hell and hot-headed tubut (It's a Mediterranean thing, I tink).

I must say that from my perspective I knew Skunk's post to be in a humorous vein from the get-go, as the title "Kansas Has Company" along with the clip from RR v. W.E.C. revealed his tongue as firmly in cheek. Travelogue "facts" aside, it was at least an amusing anecdote. Long distance driving is a laborious task, and Skunk's account creatively (if not factually) expounded on that.

Like Phoenix, I live in Georgia, and I'm a yankee tubut. A good many Georgia natives might take umbrage if Skunk's style of humour were applied to their locale, but hey if you can't laugh at yourself then WTF. As for me and my frequent observations, I love this place but God you've never seen such a scarred tongue!

17 October, 2006 21:04  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

I'm glad to see O'Tim gets it. And has my sympathy *grin* as a yankee in Gawjaw (LOL).

At least Iowa prepared me for my several visits to Georgia (and other points south): the humidity part, anyway.

But one thing Georgia is replete with -- whatever humor I would milk out of various visits there -- is folks one would be right proud and pleased to know.

Even works for a few Texans I've come across ;-)

17 October, 2006 21:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica and Karen - You two seem to think that you know me, even though Phoenix is the only regular here who's been actually fair minded enough to try. BTW, Monica, loss of a loved one was not mentioned in the first post, so don't try to make it out that I was trying to twist a knife. That's just cheap.

Skunk - don't worry, I won't be hanging out here, referring any more friends to you, or keeping you on my blogroll where you've been for about two weeks now. You don't have to worry about someone actually disagreeing with you. I know it takes a lot of strength to withstand that, and some folks just don't have it. 'Bye now.

18 October, 2006 06:52  
Blogger phoenix said...

Awww, dang folks. That is the Gawjan in me ;-)

Can't we all make up and be friendly like? I know you have been through a heck of a lot Skunk... and to be able to find humor in ANYthing at this point is a major kudo to you my friend. I am probably not regular in the correct terms, because I read more than I comment. But I think skunk knows that I love to read his posts and that I am proud to to call him friend (just not as close as some are).

I believe in second chances as I wrote before. Life is too darn short to make an enemy over something so small as a disagreement over humor vs travelogue, altho I will admit that I got the gist as I read it.

I can understand both point of views and understand that it could be misconstrued, but I don't understand calling something or a good read quits over it.

Maybe it is because I am passive and a woman? ;-) Time to get on with the future humorous posts and leave the anger over previous posts in the past? Make love, not war? hehehe (showing my age hyar as Skunk would say!)

Hugsss to all and may humor and happiness abound!

18 October, 2006 08:30  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

And that settles that. Visit where you want; be happy where you visit; if not, don't visit. As I said, critiques are welcome when they are constructive; when one needs to punctuate them with the four letter words that lose arguments, constructive criticism is degraded, and loses validity.

Needless to say but I will anyway: anyone is free to include or remove me from their blogrolls, without my consent or knowledge. 'Nuff said.

18 October, 2006 08:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a silent but regular reader of your site, I had to finally break my silence. I am surprised that people find it acceptable to so rudely comment on someone's blog. Maybe I come from the naive school of 'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'. Comment if one must about something that is written, but do it with some level of professionalism. The comments that were written about your NM blog were uncalled for! But the key is this - it is YOUR blog and you can write what you want. I have the ability to not read you if I don't agree with you. I personally didn't agree with your views of NM but that's ok - we're allowed different opinions, but the rude comments about that entry were just unacceptable. You were much kinder than I would have been.

I personally have found your blogs quite interesting - even when I don't agree - and some have even brought me to tears from laughing so hard. So as a reader that doesn't always agree, but loves your blog - thanks.

18 October, 2006 10:28  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Pat: I appreciate your breaking your silence on this one with your reasoned, well-put comments.

18 October, 2006 10:54  
Blogger Sueann said...

You had me laughing with your New Mexico post and I live there!! LOL!! I was just going to offer you a cactus; that's all!! (grin)
HUgs
SueAnn

05 April, 2010 04:58  
Blogger The Dental Maven said...

It still amazes me that people can get so utterly worked up over an opinion about a State! Strange.

05 April, 2010 06:14  
Blogger Unknown said...

some people just need to lighten up and get a life!

05 April, 2010 07:20  
Blogger Andy said...

Hey Skunks...if you ever get ready to do one on how bad Louisiana sucks, get in touch with me.

I can give you a million examples...and it's my home State that I truly love. But, as in all States, you can certainly find plenty to nyuk it up about.

I think some people don't really have much of a life, and blog commenting brings out the worst in them.

05 April, 2010 07:25  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Andy, actually I've had some travel experiences in Louisiana (flights into 'Nawlins; driving from Shreveport to West Monroe, then driving from West Monroe back to Denver, via Arkansas..ugh). Whilst I can still remember enough to do justice to embellishment, perhaps I'll post on it ;)

05 April, 2010 08:09  
Blogger Sandee said...

Yep Joe the Troll is definitely a democrat. Sounds just like one...RUDE. He's one angry guy. Just saying.

I don't expect politically correct when I visit here. I expect your twisted sense of humor. I expect you to make fun of whatever tickles your fancy. That's why I come here.

Have a terrific day. :)

05 April, 2010 09:25  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

All of your regular readers are intelligent enough to spot humor when they read it, so it's Joe Troll's loss not yours. You are permanently on my blog roll, Skunk. Some people are so controversial they'll argue with a mile post. pffft! I thought the post was hilarious. You could make fun of Tennessee if you like, but sadly enough, Tennessee is a joke all by itself. And yes, I live there and I love it.

05 April, 2010 11:49  
Blogger Right Truth said...

" took me off his overflowing blog roll. Boy, that sure hurt...considering I never knowd I was on it, and noticed not a whit of traffic difference, before or after."

That says a lot right there. Inconsequential?

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

05 April, 2010 19:45  
Blogger Serena said...

Some people got no sense of humor. They ought to be doing something besides reading blogs. I've been really fortunate to have not attracted any nutcases offended by something I've made fun of. That's the key word: fun. Poor things; they don't get that.

05 April, 2010 20:05  
Anonymous 25BAR said...

looooool. keep at it!

06 April, 2010 12:38  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

WOW!!! What a soap opera that troll created! What a tale in just the comments alone! Skunk, my dear friend, seems you've been ruffling feathers again...but I love it when you do! Hurray for humor!! Bravo for Skunkfeathers! And don't EVER change! You're the best! Hugs, Janine

06 April, 2010 14:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home