Friday, July 24, 2009

Facebook 'Fail Safe'


Either Facebook's gotta weird sense of humor, if not a "shock-comedic" sense of timing, or their computer's done throwd a binary thingee.
For those of you who are members of Facebook, you know the gist of how it works and what it is. For those who aren't and don't, Facebook is what is termed a "social networking" site. It allows you to cyberly hook up with friends, colleagues, et al. And it provides all kinds of silly, amusing little quizzes, tests, etc., most of which are meant to be fun and not very accurate (like the one that said, after I answered a half-dozen questions, that I should live in NYC...a more revolting idea is hard to come by).
My Facebook page didn't get a lot of activity -- including from me -- until recently, when I added a work place colleague, who was connected with a whole slew of other work place colleagues, current and former. And suddenly, I was (sort of) inundated with "friend requests".
One former employee, shortly after we exchanged friend requests, apparently took one of those silly tests that Facebook offers. It had something to do with the name of whom you were most likely to marry, or some such. In her case, the first name she was most likely to marry, happened to be MY first name. Eh....there's a lot of us so-named out there. And on her own "wall", she noted that this was okay, since her fiance had the same name.
Happy irony for her, right?
Well, later that day, I got a curious 'request' via Facebook, allegedly from that particular 'friend': telling me that her and I were now 'engaged', and I should 'confirm' or 'ignore'. After I got done laughing my backside off (and there's a lot to laugh off, lemme tell ya), I whimisically clicked the "confirm" button. I remember this former colleague as having a lively sense of humor, so what the horsefeathers...with my sense of humor, I'd play along.
Next thing I know, my "relationship status" on MY page was now prominently displaying "engaged". To that other person. DOH!
And my new 'friend' wasn't so amused by it, after I sent her a "we ARE???" comment back, let alone any other comments she might have drawn from her own social network. I mean, if you knew and saw her, you'd think for me, "good for you", while to her would go "WTF are you thinking?". Besides the fact that we're separated by about 24 or so years chronologically, and I'm on the losing end of the chronological.
Anyway, she later this day sent me a "they're (at Facebook) a bunch of retards!!!" comment.
I reckon so.
So now, thanks to Facebook in the latter case, I've been engaged twice in my life. Once by choice (an abysmal one, akin to buying a ticket on the RMS Titanic), and once by...computer glitch. The second "engagement" in this life was much more short-lived than my first; less than a day. Which is just as well, since it was a computer malfunction that did the engagin' ;-) And it's not a good thing to let a computer speak on ones' behalf like that; if you saw the 1964 movie Fail Safe, you know exactly what I mean.
Bottom line h'yar: watch all those tests you take and results you post, Facebookers. You might get more than you bargained on. Like getting computer-engaged, or being stuck in NYC.
Neither of which worked out well in Fail Safe, either.

17 Comments:

Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

I am trying to come up with some sort of pithy statement, but I got nothing. Just laugh uncontrollably for a minute for me, okay?

That is just WACK.

24 July, 2009 09:38  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

I already LMAO, but I can do another round widya...LMAO.

Accommodatin', ain't I?

24 July, 2009 10:16  
Blogger Monica said...

I have facebook, too, because my friends and church family are on it but I sooooo hate those quizzes and goofy games. Becky is always telling me (and so are others) that I am now their pet or drink or whatever. I do not even understand it. See? Another reason why I need to date someone my own age...lol.

24 July, 2009 13:51  
Blogger Sandee said...

I just signed up in Facebook, but I can't say I like it much. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

I don't want to be engaged or in New York either.

Have a terrific day and weekend. :)

24 July, 2009 14:28  
Blogger Serena said...

Good grief! I'm glad I'm not on Facebook. Let's hope you don't have to go through with the wedding but, if you do, can I be a bridesmaid?:)

24 July, 2009 16:05  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

Oh well,tbere goes the wedding.

24 July, 2009 17:41  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Serena: you could be the bridesmaid, but prolly not for me LOL ;)

24 July, 2009 19:16  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Congratulations Skunkfeathers! You're engaged and you didn't even have to guy a diamond ring, other men are envious of you. Now the big question....

Do you get to find out what you're getting into and what she's getting stuck with ... (read between the lines) before the big day?

As to Facebook, it has it's purposes, but I hate it. Every day my inbox if filled with Facebook notices, "so and so added you as a friend, please confirm that you know so and so..."

Well of course 99% of the time I have no idea who so and so is.

Then there are the "so and so added X to his friends and suggested you do the same"....

I don't have time for all that.


Deborah F. Hamilton
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

24 July, 2009 20:42  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

^^ Hey, Skunkfeathers, the moron that you ordered just arrived. See comment above.

24 July, 2009 21:03  
Blogger Da Pixie said...

Wow Skunk. You caught a dreadful anonymous blogger... I'm not fans of them, myselves... after all young teens do blog.

I have to say when I saw that you were engaged on Facebook I did the same thing you did: HE IS?????

It was puzzling, and had Mayden and I quite confused.

She would have to pass our approval first, you know. ;)

24 July, 2009 23:22  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Anonymous: I can see why you ARE anonymous; too ashamed to admit who you really are, with the mindless drivel you post as a comment. You can always ask Santa for a fourth brain cell; it might help.

25 July, 2009 03:54  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Pixster: that's a deal. If I ever DO get engaged for real, you and Mayden get first right of review ;-) Monica gets the other right of review ;-)

25 July, 2009 03:56  
Blogger Monica said...

wait a minute...what does that mean? Monica was born a blonde you know. Hmm. Just so long as the bride understands that you and I will always share Tough Noodles, then ok.

As for anonymous...remember the ones I used to get on my old blog. I then copied and pasted their IP address and stuff into my post. Anonymous, Facebook has its merits but yeah, it can drive a person crazy, too...sort of like mental cases like you.

25 July, 2009 09:18  
Blogger Da Pixie said...

Ya know, I've decided I like Monica! :)

Skunk, you have some pretty cool followers!!!

25 July, 2009 22:01  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Yep, I do ;)

25 July, 2009 22:18  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Mystery solved~
I wonder if anon works for Facebook ;)

28 July, 2009 21:12  
Blogger Monica said...

Mayden is smart...I actually wondered that myself.

29 July, 2009 10:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home