Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hook


From the website anchovies...archives:

In the movie Jurassic Park III, one of the characters -- having survived an episode on a boat, in the river, and atop an abandoned crane, all the while assailed by a prehistoric monster he'd referred to as a triciploplotz -- is musing about having once sunk the family boat trailer, truck, and the tow truck that tried to rescue the first two. He ends the reminisce with a wistful "I missing fishing".

For those of you who've fished without the incursions of special effects, I'm sure you can recall a fishing anecdote or two that were cause for great mirth and laughter after the fact, especially when there were no fatalities. I've related, for your amusement at my expense, an epic or two of my own, with fishing as a subtheme. I'm sure the stories told by the fish that witnessed those epics are now feeding hole lore in a few picked streams in Colorado and Wyoming.

Chatting with friends the other night -- one of whom has shared some of those same misadventures -- I was regaled with an astonishing fish story they'd had with another acquaintance. One that, even 20 years later, still makes 'em laugh to recall it. It made me laugh to hear of it.

This other acquaintance -- a perky lil' blonde, all of about 5' 1" and 105 lbs if that -- had never been successful at fishing, in so far as actually catching a fish. Eager to give her an experience she'd remember, two of my friends took her to a trout farm in the mountains west of Denver. If any of you have been to a "trout farm", you know the drill: a pond or two full of trout willing to bite on almost anything, and what is caught is paid for by the inch.

Soon after their arrival, my friends had settled in and quickly caught a couple fish each. Their trainee was not faring so well, though she was getting plenty of 'hits'. For her phone number, from the trout farm staff.

Finally, one friend sat down with her, and patiently for the fifteenth or so time explained to her the basic mechanics of fish-catching. The bottomline of which was: "when you feel a fish bite -- a tug on your line and pole -- you need to set the hook quickly". He left her repeating to herself, "set the hook...set the hook...no, you can't have my number...set the hook..".

Finally, a fish came along that took her bait with apparent vigor, sufficiently so that no one present doubted that she could fail this time. With a squeal of excitement, she apparently recalled my friend's advice, and set to applying it.

Savagely.

She bent forward, almost like a samurai bowing to an opponent before a match, and then with a tremendous YANK, jerked back the pole over her head, using every last ounce of fiber from her very existence to set the hook. The fish -- a rainbow trout, perhaps 11" long or so -- came out of the pond with the velocity of a Patriot missile, seeking an in-bound Scud. Over her head it shot, scattering guests and admirers like a bowling ball through pins, as it zeroed in on a chain link fence about 20 feet behind her. According to witnesses, no one present had ever before seen a rainbow trout fly.

Let alone, having heard one scream.

With a metallic, reverberating BWANG, it hit and ricocheted off the fence, landing limp and quite dead on the ground, as only a non-flying fish with no parachute and practical knowledge of the practice, could.

My friends -- already on the ground for the in-bound -- were still there, now convulsed.

As one of her facility admirers was cleaning her fish -- now elongated to a length of perhaps 14" -- he slit the stomach and, as he started to gut it, the head flopped backward, hanging there by only a broken piece of spine. He exclaimed aloud to all within earshot: "She broke it's neck!!!"

More than just my two friends were on the ground convulsed in laughter this time.

If Steven Spielberg decides to do another sequel of Jurassic Park, I suggest he cast Captainette Hook in a starring role. Not only might she still have the looks for the movies, but with a fishing pole in her hands, that triciploplotz will be the one that's running. In the other direction.
Besides, it'll never get her phone number.

7 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

That was too funny. Sorry, as a woman, I loved her mumbling to herself and can relate. Just yesterday a friend told me "you need a man hint hint" just because I had a new starter put on Trevor...geez.

As for fishing itself...I love it. I grew up on it. I can bait a hook, catch a fish...but the guy still has to clean it. That's the deal.

17 October, 2007 11:23  
Blogger Herb said...

I'm glad I wasn't takeing a drink of coffee when I read that.

18 October, 2007 04:51  
Blogger phoenix said...

Ditto on the drink ... I would have spewed coke into Alabama on this one! OMG I love it when you write about other stuff besides scammers. :)

18 October, 2007 10:41  
Blogger Cheffie-Mom said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

13 July, 2009 09:55  
Blogger Serena said...

LOL! Since I haven't been fishing in so long I can't swear I wouldn't have a similar misadventure, I won't cast aspersions on her fishing prowess. Just ... LOL!:)

13 July, 2009 17:32  
Blogger Right Truth said...

There's a club "The One That Got Away", I'm pretty sure it's for fishermen who can tell the tales of the 'fish' that got away, but I bet you could share a story of the 5'1" blond that got away too...

Deborah F. Hamilton
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

13 July, 2009 19:40  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Sigh :) I know someone like that, but I'm not saying any names! ;)
Wonderful story!

14 July, 2009 09:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home