Thursday, May 13, 2010

Deceiving The Beast

*First run in late May 2008; since it seemed a good precursor for the last tornado chase season, here we go agin...*








Note: The first storm chase opportunity came sooner than expected, and defied conventional logic: big tornadoes moving N/NW, close to the foothills. I may have gotten one funnel cloud in decay phase, nothing more :( The storms did better, direct hitting Windsor, CO and Parkersburg, IA. Both of which will recover; strong as a tornado can be, the human spirit's pretty feisty in small town America. Now on to the relevance of the photos...
The first thing one will notice here is the structural, aerodynamic, and philosophical design differences in the two photos. Both vehicles are not of one mission: one is a multi-purpose vehicle, with just one of it's various missions to pursue a good tornado photo*. The other is geared solely toward that objective.
From there, the specifics diverge a tad.
One vehicle is roughly 2200 lbs; the other is 16,500. One vehicle is front-wheel drive; the others is ten-wheel drive. One vehicle cost the owner $14,000; the other is costing it's owner(s) several hundred thousand dollars. One runs on regular unleaded gas; the other runs on diesel. One gets 35 mph on the open road, and even better with a 100 plus mph tail wind; the other gets 3 gallons to the mile...maybe.
One is equipped with all the latest nothing for storm chasing, save for the driver's car radio, fallible eyes, and highly questionable judgement; the other is equipped with all the latest meteorological tracking features, including wind-and-roll-resistant cupholders for four.
One can outrun any almost any storm that exists if the driver gets some sense before it's too late; the other has no intention of doing so. One plans to get close, shoot and scoot; the other...plans to do what the owner(s) claim has never been done before: photograph a tornado from the inside.
*snort*
Sorry, dudes: Dorothy and Toto already claim that distinction; ever seen The Wizard of Oz?
Houses, witches on bikes and brooms, flying monkeys...we already know some of the really weird crap that inhabits the inside of a tornado. Even Twister has been there and done that, as Bill Paxson and Helen Hunt got the ultimate blow*** from a CGI F-5.
Several hundred thousand dollars, dudes, and you've already been trumped.
Of course, if my angle of pursuit is incorrect, or my positioning in a storm's path is inopportune, I may beat the Tornado Tank to the 'perfect photo op'. With that possibility in mind -- despite earlier claims of being able to outrun trouble -- I decided to explore adopting some of the philosophy of the owners of the Tornado Tank, and figured a little 'armoring up' wasn't a bad ideer.
So I tried an experiment on my five year old Ion (*2010 makes it now seven years old*) : I lovingly layered it under sheets of kevlar armor. I reckoned that ten layers would give it sufficient protection in the event of a tornadic direct hit.
Initial tests were proof positive: the car was relatively impervious. And totally immobilized.
Unless I want to have a U-Haul truck tote my armor plating to east of Elizabeth, CO, and spend a couple hours or so strapping and fitting it on, and then just hoping that a tornado might form up and run right over the top of me. Which it would have to do once I'm armored up, because the car ain't goin' nowhere with all that armor on.
And the odds are almost as good of a tornado picking where I sit completely immobilized, as my buying a winning*** powerball ticket.
Then it hit me****: the most important -- and historically crucial -- difference between my storm chase vehicle and the vastly more technological and pricey version pictured above, would be in the disguise I give my armoring job: I make my weighted-down Saturn look like a mobile home.
*TOING*
I'm guaranteed to bring every tornado within a supercell thunderstorm down on me with that ploy; the Tornado Tank doesn't look enough like a trailer home to get much more than a passing "hmpft!" from a meandering leviathan. But an Ion, dressed out to resemble a double-wide on a wind-swept plain, with a nice bullseye drawn on it's roof, is a mesocyclonic magnet.
The end of May and June are just around the corner, and I might just beat the Tornado Tank to the punch.
Long as I have a long, downhill head start...or my Ion's disguise fools a mischievous tornado into a false sense of eagerly anticipated trailer park mayhem. Stay tuned...
* since G(overnment)M killed the Saturn product line, this won't be a future advertisement
** this is sometimes a family-friendly blog, I hadda remind myself...
*** well actually, I think the tornado's got a better chance
**** with my luck, prolly not...

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

I am going to go out on a limb and say, "Driving a car into a tornado sounds like a really bad idea."

just so you know, the wind here in Altus, OK is honestly about thirty miles an hour today. Ain't that tornado strength?

29 May, 2008 13:09  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

I don't see any picture.

Are you really going to make your ion look like a mobile home? You can't be serious.

it's really not good to be in your car in case of a tornado.

29 May, 2008 18:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This can be dangerous..challenging a ferocious tornado..Good luck to you..Be safe..

30 May, 2008 06:40  
Blogger Right Truth said...

I like vehicle number one. I always wanted a tank of some kind to drive. It would be great for tornadoes yes, but also for getting those pesky left-lane drivers out of your way, the ones who poke along. So many uses I can think of, ha.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

30 May, 2008 08:36  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Debbie: yes, Vehicle #1 has many uses. Fuel cost would be as prohibitive as the initial purchase cost, I reckon.

So I have to settle for Vehicle #2.

As for letting a tornado actually hit the Ion...the tongue's a bit in cheek hyar ;) Of course, dressing up the Ion to look like a mobile home, well...with the propensity of tornadoes to zero in on mobile home parks, it seems an ideer LOL...

30 May, 2008 08:43  
Blogger Serena said...

Yikes! I wouldn't make a very good tornado chaser. If I heard one was coming, I'd hit the bunker.:)

30 May, 2008 20:02  
Blogger Stacy said...

Why not try one of those government surplus sales? Slightly used, low mileage tanks, bargain prices. Everything must go!

We've got a tornado watch here in PA today.

31 May, 2008 12:45  
Blogger The Dental Maven said...

If we get any tornadic activity around here I'm gonna try that kevlar trick on my hair.

23 April, 2009 08:19  
Blogger Right Truth said...

There have been some nasty tornadoes already this year in the heartland.

We have been very lucky not to have any damage at our place.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

23 April, 2009 20:20  
Blogger Susan said...

Where I am, we are surrounded by mountains, so the trailer parks here only need to work about rotting due to all the wet weather!
Take Care down there!

23 April, 2009 22:45  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I think that maybe, just maybe, you should look into working with the Weather Channel and go with the crew when they fly into hurricanes!
The fact you might have to move to the South to do this does not bother Pix and I at all :) Except, we'd all get fat- with the fudge and no bake cookies we'd celebrate with after a great afternoon of taking pic's of the innards of tropical system- but it would be fun! :)

Have a great weekend Skunk!

24 April, 2009 13:07  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

I take off my hat to tornado chasers. I've faced a charging grizzly, but tornados would be great to photograph .....

Hmmmmmmm .........

25 April, 2009 05:27  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Very funny!!!! You are certainly a wit!!!! Enjoyed this immensely! Congrats on your mention in POTD!

27 April, 2009 07:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The title made me expect a post on jogging, but this was so much more fun and a great fit to the title1

Congrats on POTD mention!

27 April, 2009 08:29  
Blogger Cheffie-Mom said...

Congrats on the Post of the Day Award from authorblog!

27 April, 2009 15:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! You crack me up!

jw

13 May, 2010 14:51  
Blogger Right Truth said...

The government won't let you have vehicle number one any more. They decide which vehicles get built and which don't. You have to drive a tiny teeny tuna can from now on, push with your feet like Fred Flintstone.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttrutht.typepad.com

13 May, 2010 20:13  
Blogger Seane-Anna said...

Thanks for sending me your positive vibes, Skunky!

13 May, 2010 22:19  
Blogger Jenny said...

The Tornado Tank is positively so like the batmobile, I think I sense the presence of that handsome Bruce Wayne! Does it have an "INTIMIDATE" setting?

And did I see Seymour peering out from behind a tire?

I think your Ion will do a great job with its armor, until a flying monkey comes along and grabs the keys. At that moment I wouldn't want to be Skunky.

14 May, 2010 19:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home