Saturday, April 24, 2010

A *Roasted* Skunk


Yeah, I know: it sounds very much like something that would finish off what little is left of my kitchen: roasted skunk.
Well, it ain't that kinda roast (the local fire department just let loose a collective *whew*).
No, this h'yar blog -- Skunkfeathers -- is being *roasted* over at Clouds and Silvery Linings, hosted by Eddie Bluelights.
Feel free to drop by and throw some fuel on the fire, especially if you like your roast well-done ;-)

Here is the gist of the 'roast':


Here's the first of the standard questions. Why do you blog?

My 'knack' for writing was recognized well before I acknowledged it. In the mid 90s, through what can only be called a 'fluke', I began writing a weekly humor column for a small town newspaper in Colorado. In '99, a friend convinced me to start a web page, featuring my columns. When the paper changed hands and I was discontinued in December 2000, I was used to posting on the web page -- known as Out of (Cyber) Thin Air -- twice weekly, and kept it up for years. A writing friend -- a blogger herself since 2004 -- pestered me into starting a blog in June 2005. It became my hobby, and remains so to this day (I pulled the plug on my web page in March 2007). That's a quick "how I came to blog"; why I blog is, it is, as stated, a hobby. A fun, intellectual hobby. And it's brought me into contact with some incredibly talented, gifted people I have the honor to read and be read by. Every time I do a post that gets one smile or *guffaw*, is reason enough for me to continue.

What's the story behind your blog name?

When I first went online in 1995, my first email address was horsefeathers; since then, I've used cowfethers, moosefeathers, badgerfeathers, snowsnakefeathers, t_rexfeathers ... about the time I started my blog, I commissioned an artistic friend to draw me an icon for my new blog, Skunkfeathers. And that's the way it's been, ever since.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

The people I've met online, the fabulous talents I've had the pleasure to read and exchange correspondence with, and befriend. And it allows me to share my off-the-wall brand of humor with a degree of comfort; it also allows me to combine my off-the-wall humor with something of a public service: unmasking/making fun of online email scammers, and posting my escapades with them for readers to enjoy (I've been an active scambaiter since 2000).

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Be wary of pet rocks that disassemble your TV remotes, and reassemble them AFTER watching an The Outer Limits marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel ... it'll get you interesting blogs, but mayhem on the home front.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

That's a tough question to answer... and about the time I try, a more significant post by one of several quality bloggers I read will come along. The significance is, there never seems to be a 'ceiling' in the quality of bloggers.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Again, a tough one to answer. I think the one I wrote that meant the most to anyone -- besides some of the military history posts I've done -- was a tribute to a fellow blogger who is always going out of her way to help others; then she suffered a mild stroke (TIA), and I wrote a piece for her titled A Time To Give, A Time To Heal. This was back in '06 or early '07; she still reminds me that it's her favorite entry I've ever written.

If you were to suggest two blogs for roasting who would you pick, and why?
I don't know if these have been through the roast before but I have several in mind:

She of She Writes who is worthy of all the attention she gets.

Other wonderful blogs I would recommend are:
Sniffles And Smiles (Janine Abbott)
Baron It All (Frank Baron)
A Day In The Life of Me (Monica Newton)
Mayden's Voyage (Cora Blinsmon)

The why is simply the quality of the product these bloggers bring to their respective blogs. I'm never disappointed with a visit to any of their blogs, unless they haven't posted in a while.


(Thank you Mike for these fine recommendations - I will be writing to all these popular bloggers in due course)
That concludes the formal aspect of the interview but it would be nice to get to know you a little better while you are slowly turning on the roasting spit. So while you are screaming in agony above the open fire here are a few more questions for you.

Pick three things you can't live without (no you cannot have ice cubes to cool you down)

My sense of humor, my blog friends, and my storm chasing.

If we were to make a movie about blogland, what would it be and who would you cast in the leading roles?
Ah, a sore spot with me right now; my pet rock Seymour, keeps trying to write movie scripts he claims are first-run and one-of-a-kind; all of them appear to be knock-offs of classics, done in parody-style ("are NOT!"..that was Seymour in the background). So if a movie about blogland were going to be done, I'd leave it to Seymour...I'm comfortable that Steven Spielberg will never option the script ("will TOO!").

If you could live your life again who would you be, and why?

If I could live my life again, I'd live it as me. And hope to do it better. Being able to go back and do it again, retaining the wisdom and lessons I've learned/squandered up to now, would be a triple plus. At any rate, why would I want to be someone else, with my own glaring imperfections staring me in the mirror?

You have been given a wonderful talent from above. This causes you to make your mark on humanity and be world famous. In which area would prefer: a best selling novelist, a brilliant artist, a gifted musician, a fantastic singer, a charismatic leader, anything you choose, and why?

I'd settle, albeit reluctantly, for the best selling novelist. But with fame comes a price; I'm not sure it's a price my preference for a low-key lifestyle would reckon well with. But I'm not famous, so no worries ;-)

If you were an ice cream cone, which flavour would you prefer and who would you most want to lick you?
Oh horsefeathers, that's easy: chocolate. Women LOVE chocolate. 'Nuff said.

(Yet another fine answer - I've had several good ones lately LOL)

Describe in one sentence your perfect day

I write a blog entry that everyone who reads it, laughs aloud.

If you were a fictional writer which one would you be and why?
I'd be me...I don't see myself in the ranks of the top fiction writers of the day. I'd settle just to be me, and write something that people enjoy reading.

And finally if you have answered all these questions I invite you to ask me one in return - it's the least I can do. OK fire away!
Well, lemme see h'yar...*mulling*... okay ... if a sheep is a ram, and a donkey is an ass, why is a ram in the ass a goose?
*Jeopardy Theme Music*

Now ladies please shut your eyes while I answer Mike's question. Oh go on then, but I did warn you!
Because
he likes to ram his point home of course! Also he trys to solve riddles, is a bit sheepish, confuses geese with turkeys and requires the services of SpecSavers! There - understand it now?


Thanks for the opportunity, Eddie.

You are most welcome Mike and a popular choice. Thanks for the interview.

19 Comments:

Blogger The Dental Maven said...

2 thumbs up on the Sunday Roast, Skunk. :)

24 April, 2010 05:24  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice roast...and nice to meet you.

24 April, 2010 05:25  
Blogger Sueann said...

I visited Eddie's and I definitely through several logs on the ole fire! Great interview!!
A little smelly but you are a skunk with feathers after all!
Hugs
SueAnn

24 April, 2010 05:58  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Hello, my fine feathered friend...I am just here after thoroughly enjoying your roast...You never disappoint! That paper made a huge mistake! Shoulda kept you! I know I would! In fact, I WILL!! Thank you for your truly kind recommendation. You are so thoughtful, and I am exceedingly honored to be noted by you. Thank you with all my heart! And now, I see you posted late yesterday...for I stopped by earlier in the day, and I did not see the post below...and so I'm off to catch Santa and his sleigh...wish me luck...I'm not sure I can leap that far! I may go *SPLAT*...and you may have to peal me off the pavement...:-)

But wanted to especially say here, congratulations on a fantastic roast! Hugs, Janine

24 April, 2010 06:17  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Ooops...that shoulda been "peel"...LOL...I think I'd better get a cup of coffee before I chase Rudolph...;-)

24 April, 2010 06:20  
Blogger Andy said...

Skunks, just remember the "little people." Nyuk!

Seriously man...that was quite enjoyable.

24 April, 2010 06:24  
Blogger Sandee said...

Very well done indeed. Now I see how you got your name. Awesome.

Have a terrific day. :)

24 April, 2010 06:54  
Blogger Unspoken said...

YAY! I sure will drop in over there!

24 April, 2010 08:17  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was a great interview and fun to ge a look at you! Keep those spammers on their toes, will ya?

24 April, 2010 09:30  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Just came over from my brother Eddie's Sunday Roast and wanted to tell you that I thought the interview went extremely well. I liked your answers.
It is a marvellous way of getting to know new bloggers.
Roasted Skunk...... er....... well .....it smells!
Your blog is an excellent one, even if the skunk name conjures up a stink.
Maggie

Nuts in May

24 April, 2010 12:02  
Blogger Eddie Bluelights said...

High Skunk!! LOL

I mean Hi Skunk - had a great time doing this interview with you and thank you for appearing on the show.

We are trying very hard to promote the Sunday Roast further and I shall be witing to all roastees in due course. I am honoured to have you on the show ~ Eddie

24 April, 2010 12:51  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

To all: thanks for the kind comments. And Eddie, thanks for the opportunity! I hope you find some more gems among those I referenced, and among some of my other commenters. Worthy candidates all!

24 April, 2010 17:20  
Blogger Right Truth said...

That was so good, I'm so glad you agreed to do the interview. I feel like I know you so much better now.

Have you ever been roasted before?

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

25 April, 2010 07:29  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

You'd be chocolate, huh? lol-
Hmmmm :)
Excellent choice! ♥
Hugs!

25 April, 2010 11:21  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Interesting, am never sure of the American sense of humour but I'm trying, honest!

25 April, 2010 13:26  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

I just returned from your Roast, Skunk, and it was great. That guy Eddie has a nice blog too. Thanks for inviting all of us. It was fun.

25 April, 2010 13:47  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Just stopping by to see how you are faring! Hope your feathers were NOT singed in the process :-) After all, I wouldn't want any harm coming to my favorite scambaiter! Have a wonderful "weekend," my friend! Hugs, Janine

25 April, 2010 19:51  
Blogger Bernie said...

Great roast and it is very nice to meet you......:-) Hugs

25 April, 2010 21:05  
Blogger Monica said...

Skunk is truly the perfect person to toast...well, at least that's what Seymour tells me!

26 April, 2010 06:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home