Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tornado Games


*a relevant repost from 2008, as the season of my idiotic discontent and potential relocation to Oz is fast approaching, meterologically-speaking...*

More than one somewhat aghast work or writing colleague has offered the observation -- after reading my various tornado chasing columns -- that I appear to enjoy "living my life on the edge". And that's the more civil version.

Hawgwarsh. My life is about as exciting as a popcorn fart, long as it's not unleashed in a crowded elevator.

How someone lives their life often differs considerably between reality and perception. To me, someone who rock climbs, hang glides, races crotch-rocket motorcycles, wrestles alligators, runs with bulls, or teaches a class of five year olds...now those people are living their lives on the edge. Comparatively-speaking, my brand of storm chasing for photos is relatively risk-free. Moreso than the offers to give me the business I get from the Nigerian and Russian 419ers; and it's probably safer than my daily commute to work, playing golf, or asking a woman out for a date after 50.

Now that's living my life on the edge, especially the latter, but I digress.

Tornado chasing can be easily and safely done from the comfort of your easy chair, merely by ordering the DVDs of it from The Weather Channel. But for me, that's too boring (and I already have the videos). So I enhance the experience with a little reading, a little research, and a little donating my sparse supply of common sense for redistribution in a future gene pool (according to some of you).

In any event, my other reason for partaking is simple: I want my own photos. It's really no more complicated than that. Call me a tornado art snob if you will; I simply want to shoot, frame, and hang, my own photos. Period.

And don't think for a moment that the storms haven't noticed.

They know that if schedules coincide, I'll be right there, camera in hand and sphincter in check (perhaps), depending on the success of my angle of pursuit. A storm knows this; and a tornadic storm may actually appreciate it.

Uh, not my peeing on it, but what follows next.

Follow my (assumed) logic hyar: if a tornado thinks about it, it will be flattered. It has, at the absolute best, a two-three hour shelf-clearing/flattening/scattering life on this Earth. I think fruit flies might live longer. If I -- or anyone -- catches a particular tornadic image on film, that one storm achieves immortality. Fame. Recognition. It potentially gets air time and honorable mention from Seattle to Miami, from weather babes the likes of Becky Ditchfield or Kathy Sabine (Denver's KUSA 9), as well as highlighted on future National Weather Service/The Weather Channel videos.

Think that most young, aspiring hook-echoes don't dream of this? Think again. What makes you think a tornado has any less desire for it's 15 minutes of fame, than any human lunkhead who goes on Who Wants To Make A Fool Of Themselves On National TV In A Faux Reality Show? Don't you think a tornado -- casually dismissed as a mindless, arbitrary leviathan, a violent anomaly of meteorological Nature -- craves a little limelight and recognition, too?

Count on it.

If lawyers can argue that sand has rights, if vegans can argue that chickens have hopes, dreams and a genuine appreciation for Thanksgiving, wouldn't it logically follow that something far more awesome and powerful than sand or chickens, would wish to aspire to something greater than a mere EF rating on The Weather Channel?

Of course, I don't wish for those rogue leviathans, seeking the kind of fame suggested, tearing into populated areas. Too many achieve infamy with just such demonstrations, and more are sure to in the future (and recently did in 2010 Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc).

But hereabouts, there's no need for that: there's plenty of room on the eastern plains of Colorado, plenty of open, sparsely-populated space where a fame-hungry tornado can do all the dusty dirty dancing with the stars, haystacks, fence posts and random farm implements it desires; where it can say to a fellow funnel, "it sucks to be you", and mean it as a compliment; where it can go where the deer and the antelope play, where seldom is heard a discouraging word -- since deer and antelope don't apparently have an audible discouraging equivalent for "oh SH**!" -- and the skies can stay stormy at least some of the day.

Unless it miscalculates and shows up near some inhabitation, and everything Man and otherwise scatters with a torrent of "oh SH**!"s, or whatever the animal equivalent might be after all.

Which could digress to another issue: tornadic psychological problems. But that's another story, one better taken up by Dr. Laura or Dr. Phil, and not moi.

So to those who think I'm living my life on the edge by trying a little tornado photography, I hope you now realize I'm merely performing a somewhat pseudo meteorological service, with a side of self-service therein, for the greater good of a misunderstood creation of Nature and some wall decorations at home.

Though, being thrice-concussed, I will admit I probably have a screw loose. I can occasionally hear it rattling around in there.

Anyway, perhaps one day I shall give up my photo pursuit of the leviathan: some schmuck lawyer might get around to suggesting down the road that I'm shamelessly contributing to the delinquency of a tornado by trying to photograph their antics, and right there will be the ACLU*, peeing in my Wheaties. *Sigh*

*American Cyclonic Liberties Union...some bastard lawyers are into anything these days...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

I agree with you that what you do is no more dangerous (And probably less dangerous than some) than any of those other pastimes you mention.

08 May, 2008 05:33  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Screw loose or screw lost?

Snicker, chuckle,snerx.

Star psychologists to the Tornado, what a great idea for a reality show.

Here is an opportunity for you and the few other tornado photographers out there risking your lives. Good luck on any efforts to this end.

08 May, 2008 07:54  
Blogger Right Truth said...

My hubby has always been a weather nut. He subscribes to WeatherUnderground (check it out if you are not familiar). He is a trained weather spotter as I am, we are Ham Radio operators, prepared for nasty weather or any other kind of communications disruption.

He watched radars and weather maps. You are in good company.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

08 May, 2008 08:39  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

Just curious, is that you on the bicycle?

08 May, 2008 09:27  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

Love the picture.

It seems to me that you think tornadoes are alive.

08 May, 2008 20:39  
Blogger Shrinky said...

Hey, you big tease, where are these photo's you took, huh? I wanna' see 'em (stamping my foot)!!

How long have you been a storm chaser? I can't imagine how it must feel to be caught up in the midst of a tornado, hell, a strong breeze over here is enough to make the news, well, we just don't have those kind of wild elements come visit us (not that I'm complianing).

But in a weird way, I do kind of envy you, sure, it's nuts, but it must give such an adrenilin rush!

02 May, 2010 03:27  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Ahh, my friend...you are the master of hyperbole and personification! Too, too funny! I think you have formulated an airtight rationale for your extraordinary hobby...I, for one, do not begrudge you a little storm chasing. In fact, I applaud it! And do so look forward to your immortalizing of this year's delinquents! Superb post! So glad you reposted it...I'm laughing all the way! You are too good! Hugs, Janine

My word verification...muck...gotta be some tie into to tornadoes in that...just gotta be...tornadomuck. ;-)

02 May, 2010 15:14  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Appropriate reprint considering the last two weekends here in Tennessee.

The flooding has been worse than the tornadoes.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

03 May, 2010 09:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home