Thursday, May 6, 2010

Religion, Politics...Weather?



*Another choice retrieval from 2007, wherein I commented in defense of one blogger's column, only to draw the ire of his detractor. Over weather. And it got better: I got a second blog post out of this, and twice the number of comments as this one drew. Sit back and enjoy a blast from the past*

Doesn't matter if you're trying to be funny or serious. Wanna start an argument? Talk about politics. Religion.

Or the weather.

That's what one Southern Humorist writer Rick Rantamaki at http://rantamaki.blogspot.com/ did, both on his blog and in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, a major newspaper in Atlanta, Georgia. From some of the responses, you'd think the guy had smeared a national treasure or a sacred religious icon.

He did neither. He poked some good-natured fun at weather forecasting. Few of us over the years haven't. Well, a few of those forecasting types -- or at least a couple, who want readers to believe they are among those weather forecasting types -- were appalled that some they assumed to be ill-educated lowlifes, had actually dared to have made light of weather forecasting.

There was apparently nothing in this tongue-in-cheek humor piece on forecasting that they found amusing, but one thing specific they chose to key in on was this quote from Rantamaki's column: "When a tornado warning is issued, why not invite the trailer park folks down to the TV station? Compared to trailer parks, TV stations are relatively tornado free". More on the dysfunctional duo in a mo'.

For those of you who live in a furiously active tornado zone -- and for those of you therein who live in trailer parks -- you can appreciate both the humor and the reality. A trailer home is about the last place you want to be in an approaching tornado. A ditch or a TV station -- anywhere -- is decidedly better.

At any rate, this column drew a number of negative comments -- perhaps from a few authentic forecasters themselves -- which Rantamaki was tickled to highlight in a follow-up blog entry. That update (on his blog) drew the further ire of two persons of dubious humor/writing comprehension, with sort-of implied weather forecasting expertise, as their comments exemplify:

tis i said writes: "There's nothing funnier than listening to someone who thinks they know about weather talk about weather, but in reality, they don't know a thing about weather and what goes into creating forecasts. I hope nobody interrupts your precious little TV programming anymore to try to save your life though, buddy."

And "a future jerk with a bloated ego" adds in part: "I read your little "article". As far as a cushy job goes, you have it the best! All you do is sit at home, on your bed, and think about something completely retarded to write about. Do you know how stupid you sounded by saying "trailer parks, TV stations are relatively tornado-free". So, by making that remark, your wanting these people to die...".

The latter person threw in some meterological terms in an attempt to (a) impress readers with his alleged forecasting prowess or (b) cover up his badly-written grammar and his inability to properly quote from and accurately comprehend the "article". If he is a forecaster, I hope he can interpret a weather map better than he can the written word, for the sake of his audience.

I decided to throw a couple comments of my own into the fray, making light of two critics thus: "if you could spell and had some ability regarding reading comprehension -- and you need to know both to be a meteorologist, along with being able to walk and chew gum at the same time *gasp* -- you'd have at least one fact right about a tongue-in-cheek article, and you wouldn't look as stupid as you have now let the blogging world see you look".

I know, I know....I didn't learn my lesson with the poking fun at politically correct Xmas (and my two detractors on that occasion, Tom and his "hurls at nativity scenes" friend Michelle), or the infamous (but funny...at least to me) New Mexico scenery flap. Most times, I can treat absurdity with the silence it deserves. But once in a while...I just can't resist lowering myself to the same absurd level, to poke a stick in the eye of the original absurdant by firing back.

So it came as no surprise to me that one of Mr. Rantamaki's critics would take the opportunity to turn his pique my way:

tis i once again said (with his unique brand of logic and eloquence): "Mr. 'Skunkfeathers'...I'm assuming that's a well-earned name..I'm very glad that you can type with a very stupid dialect that really shows your maturity level. Anyway, I noticed you say your an amateur storm chaser. Well, I guess that proves that you know everything there is to know about weather also (this guy's Clintonesque ways to miscomprehend written words is a hoot). It's not like any idiot with a camera can step outside and record a little footage of a storm and claim to be a storm chaser. I'd like to challenge both of you to look at and interpret models and come up with even a half-ass forecast, then get in front of that green screen and deliver that forecast to the viewing public. When you can do better, then try to write your little articles criticizing other people's work. Until then....I guess you need to shut the f*** up."

I especially love his maturity comment, and how he showed his own void of it, but I digress.

Now, I've written a few blog entries on my own experiences with storm chasing, and have been candid about my meteorological training (and considerable lack thereof). And I've never suggested to anyone I know or pretend to know that I can forecast the weather, let alone play a forecaster on TV. At the same time, I can appreciate the environment I live in -- along the NE foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains -- and can, over the 36 years I've lived here, appreciate some of the difficulties the natural anomalies herebouts throw at meteorologists trying to come up with accurate weather forecasting. Even using models, satellite imaging and doppler radar, forecasters are never sure what's going to come from the mouth of a super model.
tis i said, that's, I say, that's a joke, son (not that he'll get it, but what the skunkfeathers...).

I have also been witness to some pretty awry forecasts. I was here on December 24, 1982, when the National Weather Service upgraded a forecast of "snow showers" to "a blizzard warning". They made that addendum to their orginal forecast ten hours after it was evident to the rest of us living in the blizzard. And many a storm warning since, there have been "certain to hit us" storms that failed to appear, having shifted south or north at the last minute. And there have been plenty of forecasts that predicted a miss...and it didn't.

But even with some of the spectacular failures in local weather forecasting, you'll never hear Channel 9's weather maven Kathy Sabine disparaged as much as a conservative politician, right or wrong. Besides, she's too nice to disparage. And a babe to boot.

Okay, I heard those *oinks* out there.

At any rate, when I decide it's time to piss some readers off again -- if this entry didn't do it -- I'll do a "weather forecasting for dummies" edition. That oughta give tis i said and his unable-to-comprehend-what-they-read chums, some more to denigrate my maturity over, or that of fellow humor writers like Rick Rantamaki. All the while taking their own alleged maturity to new lows, by the vice of their own inability to understand what they read.

And that's pretty easy to forecast, dysfunctional computer super models aside.

*Now enjoy the Comments section, as Tis I Said continues the fray therein*

Labels: , , , , , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger mom2five said...

This was great! I hadn't read that article, but boy there are some real "lovely" people in the world that think they know everything.

12 October, 2007 10:55  
Blogger RRantamaki said...

Hear, hear. Well spoken Skunkfeathers. However, you must keep in mind that my readers are of the southern persuasion and, therefore, tend to regard their weather “forecasting” as gospel (hence, the Weather Channel is based in Atlanta). Unlike other regions of the country, where weather has been integrated into everyday conversation, here in the Deep South we dare not stray into the realm of the weather pundits, else we find ourselves on the wrong end of a gale-force assault.


Rick Rantamaki
Author of “I Should Have Been a Meteorologist” and “Pollen Blizzard of the Century” and future author of “Meteorology for Dummies” and “How to get rid of that pesky tornado in 7 days or less”

12 October, 2007 13:30  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Rick: as are many of my readers, too (southern, a few of which are SHers). They know and tolerate my "danged Yankee" irreverence ;)

Heck, if you're gonna do a book on "Meteorology for Dummies", I'll desist on the column, and you can dedicate the book to tis i said and that other 'expert' ;)

12 October, 2007 13:46  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Wow. I'd much rather be laughed at (for any reason) than to be ridiculed for pomposity or a thin skin. Anyone in the public eye needs to know how to take a joke!

12 October, 2007 20:39  
Blogger Herb said...

I agree with Miss C. Although they are pretty weird. A couple of years ago my wife and kids met one of the local TV weather guys (Remember, we don't have a TV) and was shocked that they hadn't heard of him and didn't know or care who he was. If I remember right he even cracked a joke about them all wearing skirts! So yeah, if you're going to be in the public eye, better put yer steel drawers on. What a bunch of whiners.

13 October, 2007 05:00  
Blogger Monica said...

I've seen how well the Rockies are doing. Kudos to them. Making up for the Broncos, wouldn't you say? (I'm ducking.)

Oh...I'm back. :) I know you missed me. :)

13 October, 2007 09:18  
Blogger Raggedy said...

The tornado that hit here just slammed in. We have never had one touch down on that scale anywhere near here.
FYI: You are Fabulous!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

13 October, 2007 19:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, let's just get this straightened out now. Dude, you hit the nail on the head when you talk about how often meteorologists miss their forecasts, but when all things are considered(as I have started some of my meteorological training now and know how such small things can completely alter a forecast) I'd say they do pretty good. I have seen forecasts go completely down the toilet because of something as simple as a wind shift that did or didn't happen. All that aside...my biggest problem with this whole thing is the whining that the Mr. RANTamaki was doing about someone interrupting his TV programming while trying to save HIS life. I grew up in a trailer, and I know that when severe weather is going on, I wanna know everything there is to know about it. Maybe he grew up in a place where he had a safe place to go and didn't really need to worry about it, but I didn't and know that there are tons of people in this world that are in the same situation. It just really gets under my skin when people cry about that kind of stuff because whether he believes it or not, meteorologists ARE saving people's lives and are definitely needed. And yes, we are in the south, and in the south, weather is a huge deal because it will kill your ass here. Sorry for the profanity, but sometimes it's needed to express a certain tone.

14 October, 2007 14:15  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Tis I: okay, that's better. Personally, I disagree that profanity is needed to express a tone, but eh...nowadays, "ass" doesn't qualify as profanity, particularly in the manner you used it.

The only two things I can recommend to a future weather forecaster to remember is (a) no one's perfect and (b) work a bit on thickening the skin. In my 50 years and all the jokes about everything and anything I hear, after jokes about blondes, lawyers and politicians, come weather jokes. Being an ex-farm boy from Iowa, weather jokes were rather common when a forecast went phfft. But even the most laughed-at weather forecaster back then got everyone's attention when they broadcast a tornado warning. I have never personally heard a living soul complain about having their TV programming pre-empted by a tornado warning for their area; and in re-reading Rick's original column, I didn't read that notion in his, either.

It is inherent, or so it seems at least in open opinion societies, to exercise freedoms. And one of those most frequently exercised in this society is to complain. And complain long and loud about things we can't control, like the IRS, TV commercials, and the weather.

At the same time, you certainly won't hear any complaints about a perfect weather day that was perfectly forecasted. And there are certainly more of those than not.

But a blown forecast in weather is Ma Nature's way of keeping us humble. And -- like a politician misspeaking, or a local sportswriter trashing out a team that's one game away now from the World Series -- it gives folks something to have a little fun with. All the while knowing that, if in the shoes of the person they're laughing at, it would at some point be themselves.

I count on our local weather forecasters and the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center to give me heads' up on storm chase opportunities; when they're right, man, are they ever right ;) And when they're wrong...you can bet Ma Nature had a hand in it, and I've driven a few hundred miles for nuthin'. Eh. Them's the breaks.

At any rate, good luck with your pursuit, and don't forget to laugh; after all, they make jokes about IT engineers and ex-farm boys from I-oh-wah, too ;)

15 October, 2007 03:41  
Blogger Karen said...

Skunk, my friend... I have missed your humor while I've been buried in school work and who knows what else!

I think the forecasts are worse than they used to be when we didn't have all the computer equipment. If all else fails, stick a finger out the window - if it's wet, it's raining, if it gets snow on it, it's snowing, if it's hot, it's hot, etc.

Now that you men have "babes" to forecast weather, where are the "hunks" for us ladies? Or is it just Utah that has the duds? ;-)

15 October, 2007 16:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care what anybody says. Tornadoes TARGET trailer parks. If there is one in the vicinity of the tornado it WILL be hit. There will be tin, aluminum and insulation scattered everywhere. Humans and pets should NEVER stay in a trailer when there is any chance of a tornado. It a FACT.

They are like magnets for storms. We live in Tennessee and I've seen it happen year after year.

It is only logical that a brick or home with a firm foundation and built would be stronger than paper thin walls of nothing but time and insulation. Duh!

Experts have said they would rather have no protection than the protection a trailer provides.

Some poeple have no sense of humor. If you live in the South, the word trailer is bound to come up in jokes.

15 October, 2007 19:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Debbie, not everybody who lives in a trailer has another place to go. That's why meteorologists need to get out there early to give those people time to try to find a safer place, but when you have people like this Rantamaki guy who complain about it, it makes metorologists' jobs even harder. And why do people in the South automatically live in trailers? Are there no trailers in other parts of the country? I can take a joke, but I just don't understand why you would need to take a pop at people in the South by stereotyping them like that.

16 October, 2007 22:51  
Blogger RRantamaki said...

Dear anonymous MSU undergraduate (aka “tis I said”). I applaud your attempts to impress the ladies at my expense; however, you may want to reevaluate the basis of your “respect the weatherman” campaign. Take a moment and re-read the article. (In order to “take a joke”, one must first recognize it.)

17 October, 2007 07:06  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

tis I said: I see that what I last wrote you in response went in one eye and out the other; perhaps you like riding the "I'm offended!" band wagon?

Debbie wasn't stereotyping, and Debbie lives in the South. Did you miss that part because you were set to rant before you read?

But tis I said, you're free to misinterpret however you wish. If being offended is SOP with you, then have at it. If you do aspire to be a TV or radio weather forecaster, the first time you lay a forecasting egg, you'll think Rick and Debbie were kind, compared to what your local audience will be writing and phoning in to you.

17 October, 2007 07:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't care about all that right now because I'm not on TV or radio, and I don't have to be polite. When the time comes, I will be able to "take a joke". It seems to me that all of you are just so closed minded and refuse to see things from my perspective. You've already made up your minds about the whole thing and nothing's gonna change it. It also seems like you can't make any intelligent comments on anything actually being discussed here because you seem to be so stuck on the fact that I'm not taking this stuff as a joke. Just tell me one thing....do YOU think weathermen should NOT interrupt normal TV programming to try and save people's lives? That's all I wanna know....Screw all this mess about "oh, you can't take a joke", and just answer that because that's what this whole thing is about. Not whether or not I can take a joke, but whether weathermen should or should not interrupt TV programming to alert the public about a potentially life-threatening situation as Mr. Rantamki suggested. And Mr. Rantamaki, I can do alot to more to impress the ladies than make you look bad, so don't even worry about that.

19 October, 2007 06:59  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Dear MSU undergrad and under-reading-comprehension-enabled: yes, I have a closed mind, when the premise from which you argue is false and foolish. And your premise is both: Rantamaki never said weathermen shouldn't interrupt his TV programming to broadcast a severe weather warning. This is the point that you continue to harp at, that is completely false, and makes you look more close-minded than you accuse the lot of us to be.

But that's generally what happens when you misinterpret something you've read, and choose a fight based on emotion rather than using reason and logic.

Continue the argument over a false premise if you wish, MSU undergrad; I hope your fellow undergrads have done better developing their reading comprehension skills than you're demonstrating in this thread.

19 October, 2007 08:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answer the question! O.k. fine...I'm too stupid to comprehend what's being said....WHATEVER!!! Well, obviously you are too because for some reason you can't notice a simple question that I asked you. Well, I'll ask again...do you think that meteorologists should interrupt TV programming to try to save people's lives? That is ALL I wanna know. You can keep trying to bash me all you want, but now your looking pretty stupid by answering it.

19 October, 2007 13:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Answer the question! O.k. fine...I'm too stupid to comprehend what's being said....WHATEVER!!! Well, obviously you are too because for some reason you can't notice a simple question that I asked you. Well, I'll ask again...do you think that meteorologists should interrupt TV programming to try to save people's lives? That is ALL I wanna know. You can keep trying to bash me all you want, but now your looking pretty stupid by NOT answering it.

19 October, 2007 13:29  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Dear MSU undergraduate program for meteorology: please understand that I don't allow the hysterical ranting and semi-literate raving of one overwrought, hyperemotional undergrad who goes by anonymous, tis I said, and whatever other acronym he can hide behind, to lead me to believe that ALL MSU UNDERGRADS ARE THIS CHILDISH. I'm sure the balance of you are articulate, erudite, and will make fine meteorologists for local markets or the NWS one day. As for the one member seeking to follow in your foot steps, someone there at MSU might think to give this poor lad or lass a Valium. And get him a proofreader, so he doesn't have to post the same rant twice, since he/she couldn't get it right the first time, all bent on the hysterical bent he/she pursues with an obsession that's approaching pitiful. Rick, if you want to borrow this thread to use as a follow-up on your blog, feel free. This fool isn't ready to recognize the obvious-to-everyone-but-him/her yet.

19 October, 2007 14:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're not gonna answer the question then huh? It's O.K....I get the picture. By the way, I'm glad to know that I have really gotten under your skin with this too. I have found out everything I need to know, and you can continue to try to bash me all you want, but it doesn't bother me anymore. You have answered the question by not answering the question and apparently getting quite upset. You keep saying the same thing, but it in no way answers what we were actually talking about. Say I'm "stupid", and I don't understand what's actually being said....WHATEVER!! For some reason, you refuse to answer it, and I think I know why. So I'll ask just one more time, just to hear it from you......Do you think meteorologists should or should not interrupt TV programming to try to save people's lives? Now...you can choose to ignore it, rewrite the same crap that you have continued to write over and over again, or you can just go ahead and let me and EVERYONE else know what you think. Either way, I will know my answer.

19 October, 2007 20:30  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

LMAO...MSU undergrad, you merely provide me with additional kindling for a future blog entry.

Had you bothered to read -- and understand -- any of these replies, you'd have had the answer to the question you obsess over about 12 comments back. But I'm glad you've continued to harp on a point that was already settled. I am more than willing to leave your various and sundry diatribes up, and let visiting readers decide for themselves. This is a humor blog, and you have certainly provided a small dollop herein with your obsession. Again, I hope you prove to be able to read and comprehend a weather map and computer model better than you've managed to do with totally missing the context of a few paragraphs of text here. You won't be able to credibly warn anyone of anything if you first don't learn to understand what you're reading and interpreting, and thus know what you're talking about.

*DISCLAIMER* Again, I note that I don't let the example you've set here taint my opinion of the balance of the MSU meteorology undergrads.

20 October, 2007 03:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yes" or "No" is all I needed to hear, but I guess that's just the way you are. Just be very vague and never let anyone know any certainties for fear of putting themselves out there and letting people judge what they say or do. And no other undergrads from MSU are reading this blog....this is just me and you, so don't worry about offending any of them.

"I count on our local weather forecasters and the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center to give me heads' up on storm chase opportunities; when they're right, man, are they ever right ;) And when they're wrong...you can bet Ma Nature had a hand in it, and I've driven a few hundred miles for nuthin'. Eh. Them's the breaks."

If this was your "answer" then you're right...I didn't notice it because I never saw "yes, they should interrupt" or "no, they shouldn't interrupt" anywhere in there. I guess I'm too stupid to realize that but just smart enough to make it to my senior year in college and pass all my calculus, physics, and chemistry classes and every other class they throw at me.

20 October, 2007 12:31  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Well, MSU undergrad, good for you. Now, to help round out your education, take a remedial reading comprehension course. After you've done that, here's your assignment:

1. Go back and re-read Rantamaki's original column that got your panties in a bunch in the first place.

2. Write down all the passages you misinterpreted that got your panties all in a bunch.

3. Then find the RIGHT passage in my previous comments that answered your question that you have obsessively insisted that I answer, which you would have realize that I answered, if you could understand what you read when you read it the first time.

4. With that, I'll give you a passing grade on Reading Comprehension 101.

Perhaps you're right on one thing: perhaps not one other MSU undergrad of meterology or any other ology will ever read a syllable of this blog. But just in case one happens upon it...I still want them to know that I don't consider you as a yard stick for their overall education and reading comprehension skills. I can't imagine the whole program is that dense.

20 October, 2007 18:37  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

I get annoyed (or amused, depending on what else is going on at the time) when it's obvious a weather guru hasn't looked out a window in the last couple of hours.

07 May, 2010 09:49  
Blogger Right Truth said...

How can they predict the end of the world via global warming, a/k/a climate change when they can't accurately predict the weather 24 hours from now.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

07 May, 2010 18:25  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, my what a lengthy conversation/banter you had!! I will have to come back tomorrow and read in full...for some reason, your recent posts are not showing up on my dashboard...It shows your most recent post as the one about the aliens...So I see I've missed a number and will have to come back to read when it isn't as late (nearly 1:30 am here)...This was hilarious, my friend, as always...your wit is never ending...and I ALWAYS know exactly how to read your pieces...with tongue in cheek! Will have to check out your fellow humorist! He must be quite fun...Well, goodnight...I'll catch you on the other side of morning... *yawn* Have a wonderful final few days of work before your weekend! Big hugs, Janine

07 May, 2010 23:24  
Anonymous steroids shop said...

Thanks for the nice blog. It was very helpful for me. Maintain sharing such ideas sooner or later as well. This was actually what I used to be looking for, and I am glad to got here right here! Thanks for sharing the such info with us.

15 March, 2012 02:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home