Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Reunion With Raspberry Annie


*another chance to laugh at moi, from the '06 archives*

Tuesday, August 8, I spent the second half of my work day being reacquainted with a blonde I hadn't seen since 1989. It was an interesting reunion.

And no, Monica: she's not my type. Especially after what I did to her 'baby', which inadvertently provided the one moment of improv, unintended 'comic' relief in the day-long class.

Unlike 'Annie', 'Baby Annie' rested on a table in the training room, awaiting his/her turn at being the 'dummy of the moment'. When it was my turn to demonstrate proficiency, there was a brief period of uncertainty as to who the real 'dummy' was.

The scenario: you encounter a parent with a conscious, apparently choking infant. After going through the preliminaries, you pick up the infant in the prescribed manner, and commence the American Red Cross procedures to relieve the infant of whatever he/she is choking on.

As I went to shift 'Baby Annie' on my left forearm for the face-down back whacks (not the recommended term BTW), I inadvertently managed to *conk* 'Baby Annie', head first, on the table:

Instructor: "You just knocked the baby out!"

Me: "It's easier when they're unconscious anyway..shifting to the unconscious infant-with-blocked-airway scenario..."

In another five minutes, we were able to resume training; it's hard to do rescue breathing when you're laughing.

Elder 'Annie' wasn't amused.

Bottom line: after a 17 year hiatus from having been so, I am now, wunst again, certified (vs certifiable, but we've already covered that in the previous post). But it wasn't always thus. Read hyar for a time not so long ago, when it 'tweren't the case.

5 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Hahaha! You always have the fastest comebacks, don't you?

09 August, 2006 12:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well a knocked out baby is better than a non breathing baby so good for you Skunk! I'll call ya if I need any CPR. Just bring a bottle of Grey Goose. The reason I say this is that my daddy brought a neighbor back to life when she had tried to kill herself in the garage with her car. My dad was drunk. The cops still think that the booze on his breath helped her come around! ;)

09 August, 2006 19:26  
Blogger Monica said...

Well, yeah, I thought this was a post where you were going to spring a new love on us...geez, Skunk. But well, you have only yourself to blame for it not working out with Raspberry Annie...mamas are fierce tigers you know.

That was a great comeback line you gave the instructor though. :)

10 August, 2006 09:06  
Blogger Karen said...

Are you sure you're not certifiable? ;-) Way to go. They have changed the breaths per pumps, right?

Annie is such a lovely lady, it's good to know that not everything changes. LOL

I wanted to learn CPR on a man but they just laughed at me. There should be equal rights.

10 August, 2006 23:15  
Blogger Herb said...

Hahahaha! Conking their head does make them easier to deal with.

11 August, 2006 04:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home