Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Skunk on an Anniversary


Ol' Skunk was ready to respond to a prod from a reader to revisit political philosophy, Skunk-style. But he's already been over that (if you want an idea of the Skunk's notions there, visit my July 2005 blog archive for a July 22 post on the subject).

Instead, I'm going to do something else: remember an anniversary. Not one I was around for, but it might well have impacted me and my siblings. Perhaps it did in the bigger picture, but I digress.

Today -- July 30, 2006 -- is the 55th aniversary of an event in the life of a then-19 year old United States Marine, in a war zone that for a long time thereafter was referred to disparagingly as "the forgotten war".

With a shooting war going on 55 years later that more than a few wish could become a forgotten and given-up war as well, it seems worthy of remembering this. If for no other reason than to remember that freedom isn't free, and the world we live in is forever a tightwire we humans imperfectly balance our continued collective existence upon. A wire that is easily upset by the lowest common denominator of human primal notions, despite the fervent wish by so many for a universal peace that's beyond our collective wisdom to have, unless we're willing to fight to achieve it, and when necessary, defend it. Whatever your personal philosophy on the subject, the truth of human nature is what it is, like it or not.

For those of you who have already read the linked account, feel free to skip or pass over this one. For those of you who haven't, I'd be obliged if you'd visit this link. I originally penned this in July, 2001. Five years later, there's not a syllable of it I'd change, as I mean today what I meant to say then.

'Nuff said.

7 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

Wow.

30 July, 2006 07:43  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Thank you for posting this.
Thank you for the links and direction to a beautiful heartfelt tribute to those who fought.
I salute your Dad!
My thoughts and prayers are with you today...
Hugs

30 July, 2006 07:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it very well, Skunk. And you know how I feel about Marines, soldiers, sailors and airmen.
God bless your dad and everyone who serves/served/will serve
Semper Fi

30 July, 2006 15:00  
Blogger Karen said...

We literally owe our lives for the brave men and women who fought and continue to fight for our freedom and country. Thank you for sharing that, it was incredible.

30 July, 2006 22:27  
Blogger Monica said...

I already knew about your dad. You've mentioned it many times and I loved reading it again.

I always knew when you said the things you did about my son that you knew exactly what I meant in a lot of ways.

19. A young age then and now that seems to be the average, doesn't it? My mom's oldest brother served in "the forgotten war" as well.

Thank you to your dad. And to you for sharing his story.

31 July, 2006 12:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father served in the Korean War. (yes my father is that old)
Thank you for sharing this.

01 August, 2006 16:39  
Blogger Monica said...

BTW, speaking of anniversaries? Do you know how cool it is when a guy doesn't realize he's known a gal as long as he has...when I told you the other day how long we had been friends you were surprised...that's kinda cool. :) (I refuse to think it meant anything other than good...LOL)

02 August, 2006 08:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home