Friday, August 4, 2006

Meme Versus The Outhouse


I tend not to partake in what passes in blogdom as 'memes', but they certainly do make up a fair portion of what many bloggers indulge in. A blogger starts a 'meme', hoping to get other bloggers who visit their site to partake and spread it throughout blogdom. An example: several bloggers I regularly read do a "Thirteen Thursday".

The point I gather of a 'meme' is for a blogger to tell others about him/herself, and reveal little factoids about them, their lives, and how they think and feel about things. And to encourage other bloggers to follow suit.

I kinda thought that's why they were blogging in the first place, without the prompt of a 'meme', but I digress.

Writers -- admit it or not -- like the world to know things about them. They like to be read. They like to hear feedback. They like to know that something they've written has "legs" and gets publicity. Many -- not all -- crave the limelight, and to have the kind of writing career enjoyed by folks like Dave Barry, J. K. Rowling, Erica Jong, P.J. O'Rourke, John Grisham, Julia Moore, Dr. Ruth, Zugspitz & Phlegm and other (sort of) widely-read authors.

Whether any of the aforementioned participated in a blogging 'meme' to get where they were going I can't say, but I digress again.

I pride myself on being unfettered by literary ambition, and not having the sense God gave a door knob to know it's limitations. For these non sequitur reasons, I shall break with my heretofore 'meme'less tradition, and step up with a new 'meme' of dubious antecedence and little practical value, but great for killing time probably better spent doing something else, like finding and refilling the blinker fluid reservoir on the car.

As with any 'meme' online, anyone is invited to participate. Keep a couple of these questions in mind in case a Nomad like alien probe visits you seeking perfection, and responding to your answers with a terse "non sequitur; your facts are uncoordinated". The first question may just buy you the time you need for escape and evasion. Let it also be disclaimed hyar by yours truly that I made up only one* of these meme questions. That probably doesn't help much, but I digress thrice:

1. If a sheep is a ram and a donkey is an ass, why is a ram in the ass a goose?
2.* Why does noel have an "L" in it?
3. If left out overnight, does sour cream go "good"?
4. If necessity is the mother of invention, does that make a loaf of bread the mother of a 767?
5. If you experience flatulence that comes out "honda honda honda", and it is discovered that you have a tooth with an abscess, does that mean that the abscess makes the fart go honda?
6. If bees are driving you buggy, will locking u buggy and hiding the keys help?
7. Can you save the whales by keeping them out of the forest during logging operations?
8. If a plane crashes on the border between two countries, in which country are the survivors buried?
9. If you have a shoe box and a 6' 7" politician corpse to bury, can you get 'em to fit by giving them an enema?
10. How do you get down from an elephant?
11. Some months have 31 days; some have 30. How many have 28?
12. How many innings in a football game?
13. If you cross an atheist with a Jehovah's Witness, do you have someone who knocks on your door for no reason?
14. Can a constipated mathematician work it out with a pencil?
15. Did the clumsy optometrist, upon accidently falling into a lens grinding machine, make a spectacle of himself?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't do HNT, I don't do meme's, I don't have 100 (or even 50) things about myself. However, the answer to # 14 is:
Yes, if he erases the last thing he ate.

04 August, 2006 11:32  
Blogger Karen said...

Those were a hoot!

I started doing Thursday 13 a while back, just because I thought it was fun and a way to do something a little different now and then. I was faithful for a few months, but now I do it when I feel like it.

Years ago, I was a regular meme'r but the novelty did wear off quickly and was taking away from what I wanted to write about. If others want to do them, I say meme and let meme ;-).

Now, if I get another email with 50 questions asking "what time did you get up this morning?" "What did you eat for breakfast?" "What color is your shirt?" I think I'll hang whoever sent it to me. Same goes for the same inspirational emails that I've received 10 times already... I shudder when someone is new at email who keeps these things going. GAH! If an email says, "send to 10 of your friends" I usually delete it right then and there, they're a malicous way to bring servers to their knees. *off soap box*

Have a great weekend!

04 August, 2006 12:01  
Blogger Monica said...

So since you've joined (sort of) the meme/thirteen world...will you be getting a blogroll soon? Or a map stat? Or a blog romance? Hmmm? Inquiring minds want to know. Well, those who don't already anyways...:)

Have a great weekend, friend. I'm off this afternoon until Wednesday morning!!! And my baby girl comes home Sunday!!

04 August, 2006 12:16  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Great stuff, Skunk! I don't do memes either, because I don't know how to pronounce it (Me me? Meem? Maymay?) and don't have any answers anyone cares to hear anyway. But I believe it is Absinthe that makes the fart go Honda.

04 August, 2006 12:38  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I am a thirteener but I don't reveal much..hahaha
It's just for fun...
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs

04 August, 2006 14:40  
Blogger Herb said...

This is by far the most interesting meme I've seen.

05 August, 2006 05:50  
Blogger poopie said...

Oh hell..I digress.

05 August, 2006 18:00  
Blogger gal artist said...

I was just stopping buy to say thanks for the comment and the prayers, they were sure appreciated.

05 August, 2006 18:57  
Blogger jules said...

I knew you were a twisted person. This proved me right!

06 August, 2006 09:24  
Blogger Raggedy said...

I left a wish for you at my place.

07 August, 2006 01:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, this does actually say a lot about you. ;)

07 August, 2006 15:54  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Yep; it probably does ;) Monica seems to like me anyway.

07 August, 2006 18:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home