Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tornado Chasing for Dummies -- 2006


June 2006, proved a disappointing storm chase season for me. So when conditions were projected to be 'potentially unstable' for Denver and points east on Thursday, June 22, I decided to give it a go. After all, being "potentially unstable" myself, I felt a kind of kinship with like company.

Usually I chase alone; this time, I had a passenger, an invisible one I didn't invite: Murphy, and his dadgummed law.

For instance, in late May I had reloaded my 35mm film supply, as well as picked up an extra battery for the camera, in case my two year old battery went phfft, or I ran into particularly good shooting.

I apparently forgot to put them in the car. I blame Murphy (ML # somethin' or other: You'll forget what you forgot you forgot, until you need it, when your 'forget' forgets, and you'll realize you forgot it). So all I had along was the one partially-used roll of film already in the camera: four shots of which remained.

Of course, I could have remembered this in time to rectify it with a stop and purchase of extra film in Bennett, CO, my usual staging area east of Denver on I-70. But it wasn't until after I departed Bennett -- hurriedly -- that I made what proved to be my second discovery. The hurried departure was the result of Murphy's first discovered intrusion into my chase plans (ML # somethin' er other: weather and it's real (vs projected) tracks don't give a damn about your best laid plans). What was supposed to be good conditions evolving along the foothills and moving east was, in fact, doing so: but south of I-70. Not from Denver to the east, but from Colorado Springs to the east/northeast.

I was on the wrong side of the building storms again.

Thanks, Murf.

So I made a quick (but legal...*wink*) redeployment to just west of Limon, CO, where state highway CO 86 heads back west/southwest from I-70. The storm track appeared to be moving toward, or just south of Limon and points immediately south; I reasoned a deployment into the sparsely populated area of eastern Kiowa and/or Elbert County would potentially allow me to overcome Murphy.

It did; and it didn't.

Prodigious in my storm chase deficiencies is my vehicle: a Saturn Ion. It's a great vehicle for what it's meant to be; an all-terrain, all roads/conditions vehicle isn't one of them. As I learned in '05, using the local dirt roads for more precise interceptions in a storm wasn't an option, as the dirt turned to slime, and my tires (new in '05, and now surpassing 25,000 miles of use) were only adequate for non-snow/ice-bearing pavement. So I was stuck with Hwy 86, or any other paved roads I encountered.

In Kiowa and eastern Elbert County, that ain't many. And 86 -- a good road, to be sure -- is only two lanes, with not a lot of places to turn around in a hurry, should conditions require me to make a tactical withdrawal with the alacrity of a striped-ass gazelle.

As I plowed along west, both visual sign and weather radio sign became encouraging: ever-more ominous storm clouds were before me, and a radio report of a possible tornado near Franktown in Douglas County (west of Elbert County) gave me cause to think I might get lucky, even coming in from the wrong direction, again. Then came another weather alert: tornado sighting near the town of Elbert (where it reportedly damaged a couple homes, also to my west). Another head-to-head reckoning was stupidly on the menu.

But and again, from the wrong direction: it's called storm chasing for a reason. Running into the storm from head-on isn't what seasoned storm chasers consider too bright. Fortunately, I've never claimed to be too bright.

Finally, at a point roughly 10 or so miles east of Kiowa, CO, I found IT: a funnel cloud (it wasn't on the ground at this point). I also found rain. Hail. And some pretty gusty winds, what with the bucking and rocking my Saturn was doing. I quickly pulled over and got off one shot before Murphy's Law chose to reveal my third discovery: with a tired phffft, my camera battery died.

(Expletives -- in heart-felt plurality -- deleted)!

On top of that, after my one and only shot of the funnel -- which I wasn't even sure I got at the time -- the skies opened up. Including through my open window.

I hope Murphy got as wet as I did, before I got the window up.

So there I was, stopped along 86, vehicle rocking, cursing Murphy and a dead camera, while my one observed funnel cloud was now lost to view through the deluge. It was obvious to me that there might be more fireworks yet to come; it was also obvious to me I was in a lousy spot, at a lousy point in a getting-lousy storm, with a lousy camera inoperative because of a lousy dead battery, and a lousy invisible passenger I blamed for the whole lousy situ-lousy-ation.

Thus up to my ass in lousy -- not that you would have guessed it -- a rather frustrated decision demanded I do the one smart thing I did that lousy afternoon: I turned the Ion around with heavy heart and blue air, and ran like a lousy wet, striped-ass gazelle back in the direction of I-70.

On the way back to Denver, I encountered quite a photo op on the backside of the storm; hoping beyond hope that perhaps the camera battery had enough umph to take one last photo, I tested Murphy.

It actually took (before it went phffft again). So all in all, the two photos I managed that day tweren't all bad, all things considered (I cropped the funnel photo, but left the backside of the storm photo in it's original form). But I was damned if I'd ever take Murphy along on another storm chase. On this I was adamant.

ML # somethin' er other: Regardless of my or anyone elses' plans, Murphy goes where and when Murphy wants.

*Sigh* Yawp.

Note: no 2007 episode...but there sure as hell was in June, 2008.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Raggedy said...

Wow! What a great post! I was hanging on every word. That was just unbelievable! I think I would leave Murphy behind the next time you go chasing or running from storms. I am sure you will never forget batteries or film again. I felt like I was right there with you chasing that storm. Thanks!

28 June, 2006 11:43  
Blogger Monica said...

Um...I live in Tornado Alley so the next time you want a passenger you can go back to the original M...Monica :)

28 June, 2006 13:16  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

Film is an ancient medium, you old codger. Why not get a pice of flint and a soft piece of stone and simply chisel out the images?

Damn, you are suicidal.

24 March, 2008 11:10  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

By the way, "pice" is suppose to an an "e."

24 March, 2008 11:11  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

And that last comment is supposed to have a "d" and a "have." Been outta the loop a coupla' days and my vocabulary and spelling went to Hell.

24 March, 2008 11:13  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

TD: yeah, film's an ancient medium, but it looms large enough on my wall if I get what I'm after. Even money on June in '08 ;)

24 March, 2008 18:12  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

If it is just the wind blowing stuff around that you desire, I shall be in Oklahoma again in about two weeks. Come on down, bring a Frisbee and I will show you what the average day in Altus can do to your precious Frisbee.

24 March, 2008 18:20  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

You know, with the proper training, you might even get good at storm chasing.

24 March, 2008 18:46  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

And according to all I have been told, the proper training is to repeatedly hit yourself in the head with a shovel. Ha.

24 March, 2008 18:52  
Blogger Serena said...

That dang Murphy will be the death of us all before all is said and done. Check for stowaways next time!:)

24 March, 2008 21:03  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Serena: Murphy will find a place in the trunk, the glovebox, the ashtray...wherever ;)

25 March, 2008 03:29  
Blogger Stacy said...

Maybe ol' Murphy had enough fun with you and will leave you alone for a while.

You really ought to get a 4x4 if you're going to have these kinds of hobbies.

25 March, 2008 08:35  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Stacy: at the upward spiral of gas, a 4x4 is so out of my price range ;) My pathetic little Saturn gets 35 mph on the highway...

25 March, 2008 20:50  
Blogger Serena said...

You could report Murphy as a terrorist. That'd fix him.:)

25 March, 2008 20:55  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Great pictures, but why waste all the energy? Just buy a trailer house in Oklahoma and let the twisters come to you.

25 March, 2008 21:34  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Serena: I'll try that, just before leaving for my next escapade ;)

PK: sadly, I'm in the "couldn't buy a pisspot if it only took a quarter" portion of the population. But...had I the dough, a nice, reinforced concrete bunker, situated along the I-35 corridor between Salina and OK City, with a reinforced plexiglass observation cone and camera portal, would do. Now, that in and of itself wouldn't bring the tornadoes to play. But, if I then put a "looks lived-in" double-wide on the property...it's like ringing the dinner bell and yelling "come and git it!"...

26 March, 2008 05:55  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

LoL
That is a stormy take on the law!

26 March, 2008 08:23  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

I meant Murphy's Law, Nature's Law was somewhat given to the situation in situ, to me anyway :-D

26 March, 2008 15:08  
Blogger Sniffles and Smiles said...

I love the way you weave a tale, my friend...It all fits so flawlessly together...bookends of Murphy...humor throughout...you are truly a master...and your photos? Simply the icing!

BTW, I want you to know that your posts are still not showing up on my dashboard...arghhh! Don't know what Blogger belch to blame for this one...but just wanted you to know. Sorry I was slow to this party! It was a fabulous one, as always! Hugs, Janine

26 May, 2010 16:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home