Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Breakin' the Rules II

So, let's review some factoids heah:

A friend on Facebook was trying to sell a computer roll top desk on Craigslist. Asking price was $300. In a short time, she received an offer from a Franky Drake, who offered to courier her a check for the item.

My friend -- from the verbiage of Franky's email -- smelled a rat. And in smelling a rat, she sought a good counter: a skunk.

She forwarded everything to me I needed. And I decided to break one of those cardinal rules of scambait engagement: I told her to give Franky my mailing address to have the check couriered to, and have it made out to "Monk" (and a variation on my last name).

Later the day she did this, Franky acknowledged receipt, and indicated the check would be couriered within 48 hours. And sure enough, upon my arrival home from work two days later, neatly tucked under my door mat, was a FedEx.

And inside...a check for five times the agreed to price.

The game was so on.

I told my friend to notify Franky that "Monk" wouldn't be available until later on Monday, September 7, but was confused by the size of the check and the lack of instructions on what to do with it. Franky was quick to send "Monk" instructions on what to do with it.

Now, a quick review (there'll be a pop quiz, later): a roll top desk for $300. A buyer named Franky, with dubious email grammatical skills, who sends a check without confirming shipping instructions. A FedEx package from a different named person in Robesonia, Pennsylvania. A check from a bank in Cherry Hill, NJ. A check from a business account in Long Island City, NY. And a check for five times the agreed-to price.

And to top it off, Franky wants the overage (his secretary's mistake, of course) Western Unioned to his mover in Littleton, CO.

Got all that? Good.

Now, a little quick research by yours truly, determined that (A) the named person who allegedly sent the FedEx package from the address in Robesonia, PA, doesn't reside there (no surprise), and wasn't named Franky Drake.

(B) The company the check is accredited to -- ViaNY, Inc, in Long Island City, NY -- is "a shipping and maritime services supplier" from....*drum roll*....Nigeria. And the company's web link is....*drum roll*....broken.

(C) The bank where the checking account is, does exist; but not the listed branch on the check, in Cherry Hill, NJ. And the corporate security official I spoke with verified in about 5 seconds the authenticity of the check's fraudulence ;)

So them's the bona fides. Next up in Breakin' The Rules III...it's Monk vs Franky.

14 Comments:

Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Maven, the term Nigerian scammers love to apply to us is "mugu" -- big fool.

Needless to say, I enjoy reversing the charges ;)

09 September, 2009 06:53  
Blogger Andy said...

The fun continues. I'm inspired!

09 September, 2009 07:16  
Blogger Paul Mitchell said...

Dude, this is just strange. YOU are just strange.

09 September, 2009 07:34  
Blogger Sandee said...

I love it. I love how you play with these fools. There are just so many thieves out there. Like maneuvering through a minefield at times. You do that very well too.

Have a terrific day. :)

09 September, 2009 09:28  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Skunkfeathers. I enjoyed this one more than any other scam articles you have written. It seemed so innocent at first, but with just a "wiff" of something not right.

The way you followed the names, companies, banks, checks and end up with Nigeria is just fantastic.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Most banks are funny about depositing funds and allowing you to use that amount, until they are sure the check is good.

Deborah F. Hamilton
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

09 September, 2009 10:57  
Blogger Lawyer Mom said...

I can so see someone falling for this. My bank gives me credit immediately for a deposit. If the check bounces later, too bad for me. In this someone getting such a whopping check would very well deposit it and perhaps spend it before the check clears. And then they've got the Nigerian mob on their hands.

09 September, 2009 15:39  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I wonder how many people would get a check in the mail like that and refund the overage without making sure it cleared the bank? I wouldn't even do that for my own mom :) (well, maybe for my mom- but that's it!)

If I were to sell something on the internet I'm becoming more and more convinced I'd need a paypal acct first.

I fully look forward to this guy getting the run-around of his life in his dealings with you! :)

09 September, 2009 15:44  
Blogger Cheffie-Mom said...

You need to write a book! Email Scams 101!

10 September, 2009 12:05  
Blogger Serena said...

Franky's goin' down.;)

10 September, 2009 16:04  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

You're my hero skunk. I am slowly losing faith in mankind. For every honest person it seems there are ten crooks these days. You go get em. Good Skunk.

10 September, 2009 16:15  
Blogger Lorraine said...

How am I ever going to get through ALL of your previous posts?

You are a fantastic writer Skunk. And I can't wait to start reading! So I guess I'll start in June 2005...I'll be back...but it might take me awhile:)

10 September, 2009 16:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it wise to have said check sent to your house? What happens if they send the "FBI" after you? Perhaps a P.O. box would be better for scambaiting. Or the address of a local police station. LOL

10 September, 2009 23:57  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

It's like getting a 'trophy' photo of a tornado: some risk is attendant in the getting. Same h'yar.

No worries. Besides, my pet rock Seymour read the Turkeyduck episode, and knows I shoot better than that now ;)

11 September, 2009 05:50  
Blogger Jack K. said...

Ah, the plot thickens.

Now, onto the next installment.

12 September, 2009 05:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home