Sunday, August 23, 2009

Guinea Pig


Yes, I am soon to be a 'guinea pig'. And not the CGI kind that's involved in some kind of animated hit movie.
I'm going to be a dental guinea pig.
A friend I've knowd for a long time now -- more than a quarter century -- is on the downhill slide of her career change, from medical transcriptionist, mommy and divorced-from-a-total-nitwit, to a dental hygienist, mommy, and divorced-from-a-total-nitwit.
And she's made good on her 'threat' to use me as a 'patient', now that that downhill slide requires human sacrifi...er...patients for the students to get experience on.
And here I'd almost hoped she'd forgotten me...dammit ;-)
Don't misunderstand here; I have nothing against dentists. I've seen a couple of good 'uns over the years. I read a pretty sharp and gifted one that also reads this blog (check her own blog out h'yar).
I just hate going to the dentist. I'm a sizeable guy, and with a bit of macho in me. I can take pain. Except the dental kind. When it comes to oral pain, I'm a candyass. Like the time, many moons ago, I had my wisdom teeth out. All four at once.
Good thing, too. 'Cuz after the dry socket I got on my lower left jaw, if I hadn't done 'em all at once, I would have never gone back, EVAH, to finish the rest.
Though, I've been lucky in a dental sense. I had 8 cavities filled in my youth. But none since. After the wisdom teeth crap, I went through 3 1/2 years of braces (to correct TMJ), with another tooth surgically removed prior to the braces. Except for cleanings, nothing since.
Though, I've been a tad...er...unregular in the cleanings in the last...er...uh...few years. And the check ups. Some of it, 'cuz I had a stretch with no dental insurance.
And some of it...'cuz I hate going to the dentist.
I had to go to a preliminary check up in the spring of this year, so her instructor could evaluate my chops as teaching aids, and where the condition of my chops would fit into her training. Because I'm a tad older, with middle-aged teeth, I got relegated to her later semester.
Ugh.
And the day of "what was I thinking, volunteering?" reckoning is fast approaching. All both of them: two four-hour segments. Possibly more, if I'm more of an oral challenge.
Ugh.
But, for a friend...what the heck. What's a little pain between friends, right? After all, she's had to listen to my really bad jokes and puns over the past 27 years or so. Time for me to pay the piper.
And anyway, this experience will do more than just benefit her, career-wise. It will give her a chance to justly claim an opportunity absolutely NO ONE has been able to justly claim since my early childhood, and all of my teen and adult years, and one that might just make up for all those years of bad jokes and puns.
She'll be able, for the bulk of those segments, to shut me up.
She's already an envied hero with my coworkers and friends...

9 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

She'll get you to shut up???

23 August, 2009 08:32  
Anonymous Leeuna said...

Hahaaa! Kudos to your dentist friend on shutting up the Skunk. :)

Good luck with the cleaning. I really don't envy you. Seriously I really don't...

23 August, 2009 15:24  
Blogger Andy said...

I think you're sweet on "dental hygienist fox" Skunks!

I also got all both of my 4 wisdom toofers took out at once...in 1982.

My co-pay: $82

Percodan...three days on the couch...watching a videotape of "The Dirty Dozen" 23 times in three days:

Priceless!

BTW: I think she's probably sweet on you, too. But what do I know...

23 August, 2009 18:39  
Blogger Skunkfeathers said...

Andy: I can assure you that she ain't sweet on me; she just needs my fangs ;-)

I had my wisdoms out in '82 as well. Don't remember what it cost me with my insurance then, but it was 72 hours from Hell with that damned dry socket afterward. Percodan wouldn't touch the pain. Ice was my only friend.

Had I had the Dirty Dozen to watch, I would have been in a pain-induced fog, thinking over and over, "but suppose Jimenez gets killed BEFORE he gets to the top of the chateau?", wishing I were on the mission, knowing my character was gonna DIE, and how PAIN-FREE it'd feel...

23 August, 2009 19:34  
Blogger The Dental Maven said...

You'll be a better person for it, Skunk!!

And thanks for the shout out, Brutha!

24 August, 2009 05:33  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Well, shutting you up for a while will just give you time to dream up some future great articles.

As for the dentist, I never liked going either, but I do.

Like you, I had a few cavities as a kid, but none since. My mother was a firm believer in Crest toothpaste with Floride (sp?) I've used it all my life, with Floride mouth wash afterward.

Like you, I too have TMJ. I was given the option of braces, crowns on my lower jaw teeth, to fix the bite problem causing the TMJ. I opted for the crowns, a quick fix and probably didn't cost any more than the braces.

I go regularly for cleaning and checkups, but always have a good report.

Good luck.

Deborah F. Hamilton
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

24 August, 2009 11:13  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Good luck- I think you are a prince to do this for her...and I'm guessing she will be good to you :D
(that's my big dental smile! lol)

24 August, 2009 12:59  
Blogger Little Lamb said...

Does this mean you can't talk?

24 August, 2009 16:29  
Blogger Serena said...

You are very brave! All those metal implements of torture, not to mention the power tools, no matter how benevolent their intent, hurt! I'm sure you'll come through with a bright white smile, though.;)

24 August, 2009 20:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home