Thursday, April 27, 2006

United 93



*Warning: unapologetic personal opinion and graphic language upcoming*

The nation-wide premiere of the movie United 93 is tomorrow -- Friday, April 28, 2006.

I don't need to recap the story behind the movie: unless you've lived in a cave since prior to September 11, 2001, incommunicado with the rest of the world, you know at least something of it.

Having said that, I won't be going to this movie.

Not because of what happens in it; I've seen movie depictions of other airline disasters, real and imagined. Watching Dirty Harry wreak havoc on bad guys and politically-correct morons in San Francisco, bothers me not; watching Bruce Willis destroy terrorists and a building in LA is entertainment in my book. I've watched my share of "Ahnold", Bruce Willis, Clint Eastwood and Steven Seagal movies, bothered not by the level of violence depicted in them.

And I won't pass on this movie because, as some folks for differing reasons claim, that this movie is "just too soon". Interestingly, next-of-kin of United 93, have come out (so far) unanimously behind this movie. You'd think if this movie was "too soon" for anyone, it'd be them. But no: the movie meets with their varied levels of approval. I can't say that I understand their feelings on the matter; not having personally experienced what they have, I can't truly understand what they feel, but I could sympathize with any of them who thought perhaps that this film was "too soon". God bless them and their lost loved ones.

For those who think this film is "too soon", there is a portion among them who hypocritically didn't think Michael Moore's fraudumentary was "too soon"; it just better fit their personal agendas than does United 93. For them, the movie is "too soon", for it may re-ignite the raw emotions felt by millions of Americans in the immediate wake of September 11, 2001. And that doesn't fit the agenda of the "blame everything/anything on Bush" crowd.

Pardon my French (which you'll rarely, if ever again, see herein), but to those so-minded, fuck ya. The movie's out on Friday; deal with it.

I've heard that, for those who've seen the pre-screenings, it is emotionally raw and powerful; tears will run like blood did that horrific day.

For none of those reasons will I not be seeing this movie.

I won't be seeing it because, quite frankly, I don't need to be reminded of the heroism of the passengers and crew of United 93; I haven't forgotten the day, the events, or them. Nor do I need to be reminded of the stakes on that chilling morning in September, 2001: the images of the WTC destruction are seared in my mind, just as the images of Pearl Harbor were seared into the minds of those who witnessed and survived that challenge in American history.

Finally, I don't need to see this movie to be reminded of the stakes in the war on terror, or to be reminded of who's responsible for triggering the heroism of United 93. It wasn't President Bush; it wasn't Republicans. It wasn't a previous president, much as I'd like to blame him. It wasn't American support of Israel. It wasn't God, flag and country.

It was the fault of the Islamic terrorist sons of bitches, now burning eternally in Hell: they alone are to blame for the necessitated heroism and sacrifice of those aboard United 93, period.

I won't be seeing this movie because I don't need to be reminded, as some Americans do, of what happened, and the actions of those aboard that fated aircraft on that terrible morning; I'll never forget the heroic passengers and crew of United 93, or the odious, godless, lowlife bastards they stopped, cold, in the rolling Pennsylvania countryside.

10 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Well said, well written. I'm not going to see it, either. They are timeless heroes in my book and I don't need a televised reminder of that to line someone's pockets.

27 April, 2006 10:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree. While I detest Micheal Moore and his propaganda, the same people who championed his cause should stay silent during this movie's opening.
Thanks for emailing me about this post. You are as usual, right on the money.

27 April, 2006 18:12  
Blogger Queen Jaw Jaw said...

Heros come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. So do demons. I agree with you 100%. I have no need for a chilling reminder of who were the heros that day, or who were, and still are, our enemies. And let's face it, with the critics it isn't about the movie or what it represents, it's all about getting their name in print. Period.

I will never forget. Never. I share your voice. JJ

27 April, 2006 18:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You KNOW how I feel about this and past heroic acts by Americans. I couldn't agree with you more, and I also have no intention of seeing this movie ... Thank you for sharing your feelings with me....

27 April, 2006 19:11  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm torn about seeing it in the theatre but definitely will on DVD.

27 April, 2006 19:25  
Blogger Herb said...

Excellent post, as per usual.

28 April, 2006 04:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual Mikey, you hit the nail on the head. When I first saw the ads for this movie, I had a really uncomfortable feeling - sorta like how you'd feel if you caught Uncle Cletus singing Barry White songs to his favorite sow. And I won't be seeing this movie ... or any other movie that's in public, because I'm much too uncool and can't be seen within 1,000 feet of my kids.

28 April, 2006 07:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't be seeing this movie. One, I live less than an hour from the crash site. Too close to home. Two, because it does it close to home I'm pretty sure I will hate it. Up to this point, Blackhawk Down has been the most difficult movie I've watched. One of the soldiers killed in that incident graduated a year behind me. Knowing that, put a face on things. It wasn't just a movie and I couldn't take it.

28 April, 2006 11:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed Skunk....totally agreed.

30 April, 2006 07:57  
Blogger phoenix said...

I am still up in the air on this one. It is not a macabre thing... just, well, I am not sure. Maybe the DVD...

Hugsssss

30 April, 2006 15:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home