Friday, May 4, 2012

Get A Grip On Higher Ed


Almost 600 years of higher Ed later, they need this?
 Many moons ago -- the celestial kind -- I attended college.  Not a major one, nationally known as a leader of higher ed:  just a simple, practical, affordable community college.

The degree I got from there, and 50 cents, won't get me a decent cup of coffee today.  But it does allow me to lay claim to being college educated and degreed.

Granted, I did this in the latter half of the 1970s, in seemingly another era.  Another generation.  Another thought process.  For better or worse, I did this before the seed of corrosive "political correctness" had taken root on many a college campus.

Now, before and in my academic days, there were regulatory signs in and around the college.  Restricted parking.  Restricted activities.  When facilities were and weren't available for private and public functions. 

Even so...I never saw a sign quite like this one (above right), posted at my college campus.

My first thought was that the university is right next to St. Andrews Golf Course, and new students were simply confusing the two types of 'stroke control'.

My second thought was that dumbed down education leads to the probable need for this kind of sign.

My third thought was that the University of St. Andrews must be an all lads' institution, and at that age, gender segregation does have its downsides.

My fourth thought was that in an academic setting, 'matriculation' sounds close enough for some to mix the two up cruciverbally.  'Matriculate'...'masturbate'...you gotta admit, there's a bit of phonetic sympatico here.

My fifth thought was that places of 'higher learning' haven't advanced much, if they need a sign like that.

My sixth thought -- an offshoot of my second one -- holds that if the university feels it necessary to post such a sign, they're being overly optimistic that intending offenders will pay heed to the sign.  If said intending offenders are even capable of reading it.

My seventh thought was that perhaps the University of St. Andrews was simply addressing the presence of Occupy Nothing Useful riffraff, and at least hoping that they could read it.

At any rate, finding this sign online makes me glad that I am not paying five figures a year for a prodigy of mine to attend an institution with a national, if not world renown, only to find signs like this needing posting therein.

Especially since everyone knows that students don't need a private place for that; a lot of their liberal college professors are academically jerking them off right in the classroom.   *rimshot*

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sueann said...

Oh I couldn't have said it better myself.
Shall we add, the boards of these aforementioned colleges?? Seriously!!
Hugs
SueAnn

04 May, 2012 01:55  
Blogger Andy said...

Skunks, when I went to college, we had a sign above the toilets that said, "Flush twice. It's a long way to the cafeteria."

04 May, 2012 04:52  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Having a child, or grandchild, who is preparing for college these days is truly scary. One must worry about the social correctness and liberal teaching plus the outrageous cost involved. If kids are raised properly at home, they have a good chance to attend college and actually gain information and education basically on their own, in spite of the teachers and administration.

The cost is another thing. We're told by some that a college degree is the new high school diploma. So what is the new college diploma? A masters or doctorate? The liberalism gets even worse.

Yet we see signs like the one you post? Oh my.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

04 May, 2012 10:59  
Blogger Sandee said...

Rimshot indeed. Love it, but it's sad how dumb some of our youth are today. Oh wait they are being brainwash all too often.

Have a terrific day. :)

04 May, 2012 11:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home